PDA

View Full Version : DIY T5 lighting.

dattack
01/02/2006, 05:33 PM
Anybody tried to do there own DIY T5 lighting? You can get the program start electronic ballast T5 HO for 4x54Watts for $66 at Grainger. And get some pair of T5 endcaps at reefgeek for $2 or $10 for waterproof.
The last thing might be just doing your own reflectors but this should cost less than the $400 retrofit that's currently sold by retail stores.
The search button is down if it's already been done in the DIY.

Jasonanatal
01/02/2006, 07:01 PM
Dattack I'm curious would you happen to have instructions on how you setup your T5 I'm currently investing in a 125 gallon setup that I'm making the stand and hood from scratch.

dattack
01/02/2006, 10:21 PM
I haven't build it yet. But it appears that the ballast that are acceptable are the GE T5HO ballast, Triad ballast from Universalballast, and the Advance ballast.
Some people use the Workhouse ballast but I don't think it's recommended for T5HO because of it's instant start rather than program start. However, they do have a nice schematic on wiring.
http://www.fulham.com/WHD/wire7.gif
I am checking around to see if I can get a cheaper price on these ballasts first.

hahnmeister
01/03/2006, 12:54 AM
And dont forget the icecap 660 that so many people are using to overdrive the 54watters to 80-watts wach!!!

Jasonanatal
01/03/2006, 08:02 AM
So what would be the estimated price to complete an entire lighting system for a 125 gallon tank? Just trying to budget correctly.

Black71gp
01/03/2006, 08:29 AM
do people have bad experiances with the workhorse 7's i have two of them now. thinking of running one with atinic vho's and the other with 4 54 watt t 5's but if there will be a problem then i might not... i heard that they do work.... but... any info is good...i want to diy t 5's too

fish1219
01/03/2006, 08:37 AM
ICECAP is coming out with a DY (Dynamic Ballast) that will drive 2-54Watt T4 HO bulbs. I have one and its working fine.
2-54Watt Aquablues - ~$30/each
2-SLR reflectors ~$25/each
2-Endcaps/Mounts ~$30 total
Ballast- $?
Cost is $140 plus ballast to run 2 -54Watt bulbs.

dattack
01/03/2006, 10:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6411278#post6411278 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Black71gp
do people have bad experiances with the workhorse 7's i have two of them now. thinking of running one with atinic vho's and the other with 4 54 watt t 5's but if there will be a problem then i might not... i heard that they do work.... but... any info is good...i want to diy t 5's too
I ran the WH 7 with VHO actinics for a year. I didn't have any problem. The WH7 will also run the T5's but supposedly the instant start will shorten the lamp life.

Black71gp
01/03/2006, 11:39 AM
ya i have been running vho on them for a while... just wondering about t 5's

drew22to375
01/03/2006, 04:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6407521#post6407521 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dattack
Anybody tried to do there own DIY T5 lighting? You can get the program start electronic ballast T5 HO for 4x54Watts for $66 at Grainger. And get some pair of T5 endcaps at reefgeek for $2 or $10 for waterproof.
The last thing might be just doing your own reflectors but this should cost less than the $400 retrofit that's currently sold by retail stores.
The search button is down if it's already been done in the DIY.

Do they have any for 4 39W t-5's?

I don't think I would make my own reflectors since its the reflectors that give the t-5's so much light. If you don't do the reflectors correctly it won't perform as well..

Drew..

Roadtoad
01/03/2006, 05:21 PM
I looked at making my own t5 reflectors but opted to get the reflectors from aqualuxlighting. I couldnt find the reflective aluminum at a cheap enough price to not just buy them for $16 each.
BTW you can get the programmed start ballasts for $40 at aqualux. I am running them with a work horse ballast for now because I had one.
I just set this up over my 150 tall so I cant give any more info other than it looks nice.

d.can82
02/13/2006, 09:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6414520#post6414520 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drew22to375
Do they have any for 4 39W t-5's?

I don't think I would make my own reflectors since its the reflectors that give the t-5's so much light. If you don't do the reflectors correctly it won't perform as well..

Drew..

They (Grainger) do, but you'll probably have to wait a few days to get them in for local pickup (willcall).

jbittner
02/13/2006, 11:45 PM
My current setup over my 55gal consists of 4x54wt t5 run by individual workhorse 3 ballasts I have indivdual reflectors in my custom canopy.
Prices
Bulbs---4x20=80
reflectors---4x20=80
endcaps---4x8=32
ballasts---Had from my PC setup
Total cost=$192

If Fulham ballasts shorten the life of the bulb fulham know nothing about it. I had a very long conversation with a tech from fulham and he said that the workhorse ballast were designed for t5ho. My ballasts actually say t5ho under the list of applications.

Zigzag Man
02/14/2006, 01:31 AM
Just because the WH ballasts work with T5HO, and the tech claims (dubiously) that they were designed for T5HO, doesn't mean they'll perform as well as programmed start ballasts.

The WH ballasts are 'Instant On', meaning you get a large power spike whenever they fire the bulbs, which is what reduces lamp life.

WH ballasts are pretty much 'general purpose' ballasts, and from what I understand, back when T5HO lighting was first being adopted here in the States (and on this forum), Fulham didn't even have any information on their site whether or not their ballasts would work with T5HO... it took some experimentation from people in this forum to determine if in fact they would work.

So in this instance, I think the tech was pulling your leg... which isn't beyond reason, being that he's a Fulham employee and isn't going to tell a potential customer (or current customer) that they'd be better off buying a different brand ballast.

I recently purchased four 39w 36" T5HO (Sunlight Supply Tek 5) kits, which include Giesemann bulbs, Tek 5 reflectors, Waterproof endcaps/mounts, ballast (not sure which kind since I haven't gotten them yet), wire and power cord, from specialty-lights.com for $149 each with free shipping... I tried piecing together the kits myself from parts, but the closest I could get was about $130 before bulbs, plus shipping, so I opted to just get the kits, even though the Tek 5 reflectors aren't the best out there.
I'll assess the situation and possibly replace the reflectors in the future.