PDA

View Full Version : Osmolator And Nilsen

sixliner6
01/02/2006, 09:12 PM
Hello, I am considering purchasing a osmolator. My question is will it work with my Deltec kalkreactor. I have not seen a osmolator or kalk reactor used before so this is all new to me. Thanks, Adam

grim
01/03/2006, 07:42 AM
I used the both the standard metering pump as well as the switched circuit adapter and a high volume peristatic to feed a kalkreactor, not the deltec but they are all basically the same animal.

Here are the issues you'll encounter.

1) The volume pumped will be reduced somewhat. This means your pump will likely need to cycle longer to pump the same volume of make-up water. If you are currently near the cutoff threshold the additional time required might make your osmolator go into the cutoff mode (alarm). Highly unlikely unless you are pumping back a massive amount of water or pushing through a very long section of tubing.

2) The sump chamber size your osmolator sensor in is going to determine how much make up water is pumped back. If you have a giant unbaffled sump, the osmolator is going to need to pump back a huge amount of water each time, this may cause a pH spike. However, if you are using a traditional sump with a small return chamber (this is ideal in this setup), you'll be injecting only small amounts of kalk each time, so no spike, no problems with cutoff. This is a rare problem and would only really happen if you were using something like a 150g Rubbermaid as a sump.

The tunze works great in this scenario and you should have no issues at all. While I don't particularly care for the supplied metering pump, the switched socket adapter works very nicely controlling a high volume peristaltic pump (I'm using an adjustable mecomatic pulsafeeder) that lets me control the flow rate with incredible precision.

You might want to do a bit more research on the operation and design of kalk reactors before you commit to buying some very expensive equipment.

jb

rvitko
01/03/2006, 10:56 AM
As grim said but I know that our Osmolator works well with the My Reef Creations kalkreactor, I don't know about other brands.

aurorahokie
01/03/2006, 04:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6411860#post6411860 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rvitko
As grim said but I know that our Osmolator works well with the My Reef Creations kalkreactor, I don't know about other brands.

Exactly the setup I was planning on using. Decided to go nilsen instead of calc reactor system. MRC looks like the way to go, too.

Chip

rvitko
01/04/2006, 09:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6414498#post6414498 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aurorahokie
Exactly the setup I was planning on using. Decided to go nilsen instead of calc reactor system. MRC looks like the way to go, too.

Chip

A nilsen reactor is generally not a replacement for a calcium reactor, they should be used together. Kalk is not a very concentrated source of calcium and in anything but the lowest demand systems will not be suffficient. Kalk is mainly useful to raise pH and KH and control free CO2 and phosphates.

kysmith
01/05/2006, 09:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6419516#post6419516 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rvitko
A nilsen reactor is generally not a replacement for a calcium reactor, they should be used together. Kalk is not a very concentrated source of calcium and in anything but the lowest demand systems will not be suffficient. Kalk is mainly useful to raise pH and KH and control free CO2 and phosphates.

I'm no expert but I have 2 friends who add their calcium in this fashion. Both have great results with their acros. I'd post pictures of both their tanks but the search function does not work for me at this time (only in the middle of the night does it work).

Here is the more impressive one (120 gallons).

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/whitneyb/reeftank/index.html

I'm sure he'd answer any questions PM me for his screen name on RC.

kysmith
01/05/2006, 09:02 AM
rvitko I also am a home brewer :D

kysmith
01/05/2006, 09:05 AM
OK I looked at that link I posted a little closer and that is his old tank, his 120 is just as impressive, only the SPS are much larger now.

rvitko
01/05/2006, 10:49 AM
It has been a good while since I have brewed a batch of beer. FWIW, I also like cars :D I rebuild old VW and Mercedes diesels. I also like American cars of the 50's especially odd balls like Hudsons and Studebakers and Packards, never rebuilt one though, I have only rebuilt Chevrolets from the 50's.

I still stand by my opinion on Kalk, it just is not a very efficient method and their is the risk of overshooting the pH and loosing calcium. I would ask an expert like Habib at Salifert or Randy Holmes Farley before deciding one way or another. I use Kalk but I use it in low doses and with a Calcium Reactor.

kysmith
01/05/2006, 12:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6428504#post6428504 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rvitko
It has been a good while since I have brewed a batch of beer.

It's easy to get out of the habit. I suggest brewing one batch to rekindle the your love for the hobby. How long has it been? There have been some large advancements in the hobby in the last couple of years. Check out this (http://www.morebeer.com/phpBB2/index.php) and this (http://www.brewboard.com/)
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6428504#post6428504 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rvitko
their is the risk of overshooting the pH and loosing calcium.

it's true but I still think that it's a good/cheaper alternative to a calcium reactor that produces good results. I'm sure you can agree with that on some level.

rvitko
01/05/2006, 01:50 PM
It has been about 18 months. It just is a matter of a lack of time.

I would agree but would suggest further research and likely you would have to supplement further with something like Calcium Gluconate.

kysmith
01/06/2006, 09:34 AM
good read (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm)