PDA

View Full Version : Quick wavebox question

billpa
01/03/2006, 11:46 AM
Im looking at a wavebox for my 180g and Im curious how it exactly works. I can see how there is a modified stream inside of a box that is turned on and off at certain intervals to create a wave...but where does the stream pull the water from? Is it from the top of the box? Is the box completely submerged?

I haven't had a chance to check one out in person so I am a bit clueless on how a wavebox works.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Tagareef
01/03/2006, 12:03 PM
Bill,

The top of the Wavebox is above the water's surface. The Stream's only job is to empty the box. When it cycles off...the box re-fills. So basically it creates the wave by the displacement of the water. And just to be clear, the adjustment knob on its controller controls timing/interval only. Some people have confused this with a "volume control" were they think if they turn it all the way up the wave should increase. On my 180, the knob is set to a point just before the 12 o'clock position.

The Wavebox is one of the coolest things I've ever installed on my reef...Highly Recommended.

Luis

billpa
01/03/2006, 12:06 PM
Hey Luis

Thanks for the info. So...the box fills when the pump turns off and the water returns back as a wave?

Bill

rvitko
01/03/2006, 12:23 PM
Sort of, it is abit more complicated it uses the physical principle of resonance frequency and the main trick is getting the timing of the fill and empty just right. Until you hit the frequency you don't get much of a wave.

billpa
01/03/2006, 12:35 PM
Okay...so if at first you dont get the timing correct, it will not get much of a wave but it will still fill the box?

Thanks
Bill

rvitko
01/03/2006, 12:45 PM
Yes.

Tagareef
01/03/2006, 12:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6412147#post6412147 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billpa
So...the box fills when the pump turns off and the water returns back as a wave?

Yes, but that's only half of it. It also pushes out a wave when the Wavebox is on and emptying.

It's all about the timing/frequency...without it the box still fills and empties, but all you get is some current - no wave. On my tank, the one sweet spot is at that almost "noon" position. Each tank is going to have it's own individual sweet spot. Some people have achieved a "double wave" with their Wavebox when experimenting with the frequency. Don't remember if those were larger or smaller tanks than ours.

africangrey
01/03/2006, 01:55 PM
a double wave generation will be very sweet but I think that only happen to a longer tank.

rvitko
01/03/2006, 02:24 PM
7ft is the minimum for a double wave.