PDA

View Full Version : Tank stand height help

originalozzyo
01/06/2006, 01:29 PM
What do most of you guys prefer for the height of your tank and stand setup. Do you prefer having a tank high up off the ground so when you look into your tank you almost look eye level near the top of the water and only have to look down a bit. Or do you like it when you sit in your sofa and just have to look straight ahead into your tank. I can't decide which one i want to design for my new setup. I'm ordering a 150 gallon tall tank which is 28" high and i don't know if i should build a stand that a tall one or have one that sits a little lower. Any pics of similar sized setups would be greatly appreciated.

SeanT
01/06/2006, 01:34 PM
My tank stand is 40 inches.
I don't like having to bend over to look at things.

Sean

Dubbin1
01/06/2006, 01:36 PM
I built mine at 3ft so I don't have to bend over to see in it but my tank isn't as tall as yours. I will say that when I had my 110 it was a real pain to do anything in the tank and the stand was the standard height as the stock stands.

KingsX
01/06/2006, 04:15 PM
I like to be able to get in the tank without a ladder, so right now all my tanks are on 30" stands, but for access and equipment maintenence under the stand (basic convience), I think the next one I build will be at least 36" or maybe even 40" hmmmm....

SDguy
01/06/2006, 04:42 PM
Put it this way, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks they built their stand too tall. But I'm sure you could find plenty of people who don't have enough clearance in their stand for all that equipment. I'd say go at least 36". So you need a step ladder. Me too. I'll worry about that when 95. :D

Craig Lambert
01/06/2006, 04:42 PM
Mine is 27.5" (It was a custom job for its original location). It's definately too short. Take my advice and go 32" or even a bit higher. You are going to need a sizeable skimmer in your sump for a tank that big. I have a 20" skimmer, and it is a real pain to remove it from a 16" high sump. There is just barely enough room to get it in and out for cleaning. I wouldn't go too high though. Wouldn't want to be "top heavy".

eidillitih
01/06/2006, 04:55 PM
I built mine 36", wish I went 40.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/30886new_tank_stand_canopy.jpg

KDodds
01/06/2006, 05:40 PM
Tank height has a lot to do with it. My 450 is 30" high and sitting on a 30" stand. Design-wise, for practical maintenance reasons, it's nicer to have, IMO, a tank that does not top above your armpits when on the stand. With a high tank (over 24") this is probably not aesthetically possible (stand would have to be way too short). As it is, my tank tops over shoulder height. Feeding is still a breeze, but scraping requires a step ladder. I chose this height for the stand for that reason, but also to sit "in between" so that it could be enjoyed from a standing or sitting position.

Craig Lambert
01/06/2006, 05:45 PM
Good Lord eidillitih!!

Wanna build one for me? That's a 10!

Darroll
01/06/2006, 06:08 PM
I just finished building my stand and at 37" tall I can just get my hands into the top. I have seen a lot of tanks that are smaller and just didn't like them. My friends want me to build them a new stand to raise their tanks as well. You will definatly not regret going taller than normal.

Princess Di
01/06/2006, 07:28 PM
My tank is 36" tall and sits 44" off the ground. It is a walk around, so I really like the heighth. However, I do need a ladder to get to the top. (check my gallery)

Sindjin
01/06/2006, 07:49 PM
I pulled up a bar stool, grabbed my tape measure and built my stand to 35". I figured I would be sitting their drinking a beer and enjoying my tank. Sure enough I was right! :)

Rikko
01/06/2006, 08:05 PM
I built mine 30" since that plus the tank height hit my armpit exactly. My current (old) tank is a good 40" off the ground and it's a nightmare to service it.

simion3
01/06/2006, 08:23 PM
I have a 90 that is 24" high on a stand thats 42" I think and its a huge pain I hate it so much, plus I cant see the tank well when im sitting on the couch. I made a new stand thats 36" I think im gonna like it much better.

Cprowler
01/20/2006, 11:06 PM
I just built mine 40" tall and love it. I have a special step that I use to service it.

racrumrine
01/20/2006, 11:10 PM
My 180 stand is 36". Next time, I'd go taller.

Best of luck,

Roy

rhenie
01/20/2006, 11:46 PM
My stand is 37", but my tank is 27" tall. I personally wish my stand was 4" shorter. It is a pain to reach anything in my tank. I have way more than 4" of clearance under my tank for my refugium, lighting, supplies, protien skimmer etc...

Just my personal preference. I orginally ordered a smaller stand and this is what was delivered. I was anxious to get started so I didn't send it back, but I wish I had.

By the way, I'm 6 ft tall. But this tank is in a room where we are mostly sitting. Not that you can't look up and see an amazing saltwater tank. I just think it could be just as amazing and easier to work with at 4" shorter.

Just my FYI.

R