PDA

View Full Version : Salinity Increasing Over Time??

DT's_Reef
01/07/2006, 12:45 PM
I have a 120 reef system and haven't done any significant water change in many months. I top off the system with r/o water of course.

The other week, I measured the salinity with a refractometer and it read 35 which shocked me. Whenever doing a water change, I always make certain the result is about 25.

Anyway, over the past week I've been replacing 6 gallons of water at a time with buffered r/o water, bringing it down to .29 presently.

I'm just wondering how the salinity could have jumped that much without adding salt. Any ideas?

I have been adding buffer and calcium the whole time, taking measurements.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/07/2006, 01:40 PM
35 what? 35 ppt, or a specific gravityof 1.035?

Salinity slowly rises if you skim out salt water but add RO/DI to replace it. Calcium and alkalinity supplements can also raise salinity.

DT's_Reef
01/07/2006, 03:20 PM
Specific gravity at 1.035. What you say makes sense cause that's exactly what I've been doing.....replacing evap with r/o and adding calcium supplements.

It's down to 1.028 now, so things should be getting back to normal.

The pH has been higher too, which is nice. In the morning the pH seem abnormally depressed, now it's at 8.00 (versus 7.8 at the higher salinity).

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/07/2006, 06:18 PM
Wow,that was high, but not so bad now. I target a sg of about 1.0264 :)

DT's_Reef
01/09/2006, 10:47 AM
When the salinity was high, I had a lot of trouble keeping the calcium up anywhere near where it should be, even with a Schuran Jetstream calcium reactor, so I turned it off.

After adjusting the salinity, I put the reactor back online, and within 3 days the calcium went up to 430.

My SPS have responded strongly in this short period of time. New growth is obvious, and there have even been coloring changes.

Am once again looking forward to achieving that dream SPS tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/09/2006, 01:19 PM
When the salinity was high, I had a lot of trouble keeping the calcium up anywhere near where it should be, even with a Schuran Jetstream calcium reactor, so I turned it off.

Hmmm. That's somewhat unexpected, but I'm glad it moved in the right direction. :)

DT's_Reef
03/22/2006, 01:22 PM
Randy, my reefkeeping license should be revoked.....ends up I read the scale incorrectly (was reading salinity, but in terms of specific gravity...e.g. 35 = 1.035.....ack).

I discovered my error this weekend when I was making a batch of saltwater and noticed that my salt mix was not being used up very fast. So, I rechecked it and saw salinity at around 1.010. No wonder some of my SPS are having some serious issues.

I think the low pH was simply due to organic accumulation. I've since used ozone and my pH at the end of the light cycle, at correct salinity is approximately 8.30. In the a.m. it's 8.00.

Fish are more happy, SPS are much more happy. I'm happy. Was ready to throw in the towel on my 120 system.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/22/2006, 01:41 PM
That's good news! I'm glad things are looking up. :)

Happy Reefing. :)