PDA

View Full Version : Help I.D.ing new horses

Krustylove
01/10/2006, 12:17 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys could help me I.D. my new horses. I just pulled them yesterday at a local wholesaler, it was dark and I couldn't tell that I had not pulled Reidi as I was on the hunt for some females for my “male stag party” of a tank and ended up bringing these gals home instead! The packer charged me for Reidis also, so I was not the only one who missed it. In the sunlight it was hard to miss that these were not Reidi as they have very high crowns! Also I haven't seen any of them eat yet...but the little light gray one started hunting in my tank right away, like 5 minutes after I let her out of the bag! The Red one with Palomino spots doesn’t seem real happy and spends a lot of time up at the top of the tank instead of down at the bottom with the rest of them. I am open to any info you guys have on these new guys because I have only had Reidi. Thanks a bunch.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/krustylove80/NewSeahorsebest.jpg
The red one with the Palomino markings and a high crown is new

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/krustylove80/NewSeahorse2.jpg[/IMG]
The white one in the middle is also a new high crown horse as well as the one with the Palomino like markings

luvabunny
01/11/2006, 09:12 PM
Nice pic, but it really isn't helpful in ID any of the horses. To be honest, I'm not sure which ones we're even supposed to be looking at....

Maybe a few more shots of the specific horses, showing front views, heads, etc...

LisaD
01/13/2006, 08:57 AM
Are you sure the one with white markings is not diseased? Please don't take this wrong, but I would not have put new animals from the wholesalers into my display tank. I have had more than one disaster from doing that, and have finally learned to ALWAYS QT seahorses.

My guess is that they could be spinos.

Krustylove
01/13/2006, 10:52 AM
Spinos, what is that? And of course I was stupid and didn't take the 15 minutes to dip or set-up a quarantine tank-I only do that for my paying customers?! It is very tiring to spend the day in L.A. picking up dry goods and livestock at 5 or more locations and then sit in traffic. The place these guys came from does quarantine all their livestock in blue copper. I know that is no guarantee. So O.K.-damage control time. After I have pulled her and properly dipped her, what should I treat her with? What a mess, and I should know better...thanks for your help

Swanwillow
01/16/2006, 03:24 PM
any updates?

Krustylove
01/16/2006, 04:13 PM
Well, I found out I have H. Combs and some kind of inbreed horse. Everyone is eating-I don't see any scratching or suspicious behavior, however I lost a horse either last night or this morning. I lost a Reidi that was a year old and healthy. It could have been that I feed the tank right before lights out and a bristol worm got him, or all the males fighting for the one and only female in the tank. At any rate I am treating the tank as a precaution with "Stop Parasite". I now have 7 horses in a 29 gallon so am setting up a 20 gallon to move my H. combs into and maybe my H. reidi pair. I have only had a female in the tank since last Monday and on Thursday I noticed one of my males was already pregnant!!! They sure don't waste any time!!!

Swanwillow
01/16/2006, 05:05 PM
imo-thats aLOT of horses for a 29...

Krustylove
01/16/2006, 07:15 PM
Yha, I know...so I am setting up another tank that will be a fish only system free of bristol worms and hydroids that come along with the beautiful reef set-up I currently have. The four males are a year old-but I know they will not stay medium sized forever and am planning a new home for some of them. I have good filtration and water quality but they are looking to be on top of each other.