PDA

View Full Version : High Calcium In Tank Water

Melvyn Tan
01/12/2006, 07:42 AM
Hi,

A couple of days ago whilst troubleshooting on why my calcium reactor isn't working at all after a good 2 weeks (alk hovers around 9-15dkh and not increasing) of running in with a working ph of 6.2-6.7 (tested these range) for ARM.

A friend and i did some measurement and discover high calcium parameters which reconfirms a measurement i did a month or 2 ago. The parameters are as such;

1) Calcium - 1100ppm (using both salifert & aqualight) confirmed
2) Magnesium - 850ppm (again using the same test kits and doing the necessary subtraction)
3) Alkalinity - 15dkh
4) Ph 8.0 - 8.2

A search was made and it appears that calcium could not possibly be contained at such high amount in water ie.highest permissible loading 600ppm and anymore would have mean supersatuaration and precipitation can occur.

Some SPS frags are growing rather well - visual indication from the bases, whereas some bleached (it may or may not be associated with the high calcium content).

Tried to troubleshoot and also read through some papers on high alk/calcium correction and it seems in my case it is way off !

I regularly dose kalk (kent) in water top-up and some calcium gluconate (seachem) supplements.

I need advice on whether 1100ppm is something phenomenal - whether it will be harmful to both my fishes and corals, and what are the best ways to restore balance to 9-10dkh, 400ppm ca and 1250ppm mg.

Greatly appreciate your advice and time in reading.

mel

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/12/2006, 07:51 AM
A search was made and it appears that calcium could not possibly be contained at such high amount in water ie.highest permissible loading 600ppm and anymore would have mean supersatuaration and precipitation can occur.

Actually, I don't agree. It could be very high, especially if the pH is on the low side.

It may be fine, but I would recommend bringing it down if it really is that high.

I'd stop adding the Seachem calcium polygluconate.

Have you measured the water change water for calcium?

Arer you topping off with tap water?

What size tank?

Melvyn Tan
01/12/2006, 08:51 AM
Hi,

I have since stopped kalk and the polygluconate altogether, monitor the ph via my ph monitor and is adding kh buffer.

The water which i use to top-up is direct tap to DI unit, and i add chlorine and chloromine remover (incldg metals stuffs) and some kent salt to the required SG.

My tank is 4x2x2 with 3x1.5x1.5 sump.

Cheers

Melvyn Tan
01/12/2006, 08:53 AM
Correction, kent salt for water changes, top-off is DI water with treatment. Previously kalk added into the water and used for dripping + top-off.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/12/2006, 09:53 AM
What is the calcium in the mix?

Had you added a lot of the calcium polygluconate?

I'm wondering how it might have gotten so high. It is hard to do by accident. :D

Horace
01/12/2006, 11:16 AM
Im curiuos myself. Especially since the Salifert test only test up to 500+. Atleast from what I can remember. The only time I got my calcium high (over 500) was when I was dosing with the No. 28 blocks and assumed that once they block was dissolved it was time to add another. needless to say that wasnt a good idea :P

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/12/2006, 12:16 PM
You can use the Salifert test for higher calcium concentrations by using more syringes of titrant if necessary, and adding them together.

Horace
01/12/2006, 12:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6483353#post6483353 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
You can use the Salifert test for higher calcium concentrations by using more syringes of titrant if necessary, and adding them together.

Ahhh ok that makes sense....

Melvyn Tan
01/12/2006, 08:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6482256#post6482256 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
What is the calcium in the mix?

Had you added a lot of the calcium polygluconate?

I'm wondering how it might have gotten so high. It is hard to do by accident. :D

Ermm...no usually it is one capful for a week or 2...kalk water (with some of the white remnants) are sometimes poured straight in.

Funny thing is that only some part of the rocks are growing coralline, rest are fairly bare. What are the options to correct this "ionic imbalance"?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/13/2006, 07:26 AM
I don't understand how it might have happened, and would want to be sure it is not just a measurement error.

I would measure some new salt mix water with those exact same kits and see what you get.

Maybe the salt mix is a bad batch, or there is kit or user error in testing.

Melvyn Tan
01/13/2006, 07:37 PM
Will try to eliminate these possibilities...

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/14/2006, 07:40 AM
OK, good luck. :)

Melvyn Tan
02/02/2006, 10:07 PM
Hi Randy,

I have managed to lower the dkh and calcium levels to 12 dkh and 400ppm respectively, tried to get the calcium reactor to work and even at ph 6.5 it doesn't seem to burn the media at all !

At one stage when the tank dkh is about 10, i did a measurement to the effluent at 18dkh, then after awhile everything balances to 15dkh (both tank and effluent)...now it measures 12dkh (tank).

I can't seem to understand the problem of why the calcium reactor is not working. I am using Caribsea ARM, understand that since it is a naturally occuring product when parameters are alright, it will not melt?

Appreciate your help...

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/03/2006, 07:19 AM
So you are using additives in addition to the reactor?

Perhaps the pH meter is off a bit. I'd try adding a bit more CO2 and see what that does to the effluent alkalinity. :)

These may help:

A Guide to Using Calcium Reactors
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.htm

Calcium Reactor setup calculator (CaCO3/CO2 reactors)
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/reactor.html

sunny03
02/03/2006, 11:04 AM
why not just change water and every thing will be solve ?

Tigger_sg
02/03/2006, 11:09 AM
MT,

I recommend u go return to the store that sell u the ARM. I find that it is unlikely that ARM cannot be burn at pH 6.5. At pH 6.5, i reckon yr ARM shld be "chalky".

CHUCKSD
02/10/2006, 12:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6654118#post6654118 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Melvyn Tan
Hi Randy,

I have managed to lower the dkh and calcium levels to 12 dkh and 400ppm respectively, tried to get the calcium reactor to work and even at ph 6.5 it doesn't seem to burn the media at all !

At one stage when the tank dkh is about 10, i did a measurement to the effluent at 18dkh, then after awhile everything balances to 15dkh (both tank and effluent)...now it measures 12dkh (tank).

I can't seem to understand the problem of why the calcium reactor is not working. I am using Caribsea ARM, understand that since it is a naturally occuring product when parameters are alright, it will not melt?

Appreciate your help...

Melvyn Tan
04/10/2006, 11:21 PM
CO2 is food grade.

Ran a test about 2 weeks ago and the parameters are all back to normal...mg at 1350 and ca at 420.

What i did was, change a little water (more regularly), buffer with bicarbonate, and just leave it out to balance.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/11/2006, 06:18 AM
Well, whatever you did, it seems to have been the right thing. :)

Lo0seR
04/18/2006, 10:38 PM
I thought all co2 was the same? The only difference is the tank, beverage co2 tanks are lined so when the co2 runs out, back pressure doesn't let the beverage rust the tank when it goes back into the tank. Where as other co2 tanks are either steel or aluminum and are not lined, but as far as co2 it's all the same.