PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiker- Baby Star?

sttroyiii
01/12/2006, 09:56 AM
Hello, I have been reading here for a couple of months now. I started my tank up the beginning of this month. Its a 20 gal. with 20lbs. of Fiji Pink Live Sand, and about 6lbs. of assorted Live Rock as it sits now. Im just coming to the end of my first cycle. I am just building it up as money permits, and trying to go slow. In the last few days, Ive started noticing some critters: a couple of baby featherdusters and a couple of baby aiptasia (Joe's Juice on the way!). Last night, I noticed a tiny little worm, no bigger than a 1/2" long thread. That got me to looking even harder. A bump on a rock kinda jumped out at me as being different, and I realized it was moving ever so slowly. Its about 1/4" diameter, and I think it is a baby starfish. My tank has been up a total of 10 days now, so I am pretty surprised to see anything. A pod dashed out of sight just this morning. The rock was uncured and I scrubbed it pretty good when I got it. Anyways, it looks like this little guy once had 6 legs. Now it has 3 good ones, and 3 little nubs trying to grow back. Im not sure if it is going to make it or not though. I kept checking on it, and at one point it had flipped over and was hanging on by only one arm. Later it had fallen to the sand, upside down. I gently put it back on the rock after taking a couple of quick pictures. Any clues on ID? I am having a really hard time getting my camera to focus on something inside the tank. Its also a new camera. His arms are rather rounded, and he is a mottled grey/purple color. He just looks brown out of the light. Included is a pic of my tank, just for kicks.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/112147Star1.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/112147Star2.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/112147Star3.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/112147Tank1-10-06.JPG

I have another 5lbs of cured Fiji rock, 5lbs. of cured Kaelini rock and two power heads coming the middle of next week from premiumaquatics. I plan for my tank to be mostly LR, corals, and a couple of fish. Thanks for looking!

Justin

SeanT
01/12/2006, 09:59 AM
[welcome]

It appears to be an Asterina sp. starfish.
Harmless. :)

dr.darkness
01/12/2006, 10:35 AM
I agree 100%

sttroyiii
01/12/2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks! After looking at more pictures, I think concure. I have another question though. On this 20gal. tank, I have two Topfin (Old, I know) overflow filters that are rated for 40gal. each. I use my own mixture of activated carbon and porous grow media to fill up the filter bags. Is this enough? I have been researching skimmers, and trying to decide if I need one in addition to this set up. If I need a skimmer, what do you think about the ones that attach to the intake of the overflow filter (inside tank skimmer)? Its the cheaper route for sure, but I could have one 40gal. filter for regular duty, and have the second 40gal. filter for attaching to the skimmer. I wont be ready for a sump/fuge for awhile. Im guessing the kind that I am talking about wouldnt have a bubbler inside, but it would still be drawing from the surface of the water and running through filter media.

Loralie
01/12/2006, 12:23 PM
I agree with Sean. These starfish reproduce VERY rapidly. They don't harm corals. I have hundreds in my 125. The fuge is teaming with them. I like haveing them around...they are kinda neat. But I bought 2 Harlequin Shrimp(which are way cool) to keep their populations under control. Enjoy the little critter and he won't get much larger, but he will possible make himself some friends

crzy4reefs
01/12/2006, 01:06 PM
they stay small and usually come out at night unless there is nothing in there too eat them then they come out when ever i have lots of those and what also looks like mini brittle stars......both are harmless

Fast Fred
01/12/2006, 01:22 PM
Agreed. They are pretty cool to look at. I have dozens in my 125g. They seem to loose legs on a regular basis. I don't know why. Maybe a method of reproducing? Maybe just replacing a bad one, like a shark replaces his teeth.

Anyway, keep going slow. The tank looks great so far.

crzy4reefs
01/12/2006, 02:10 PM
i believe that's the method of them reproducing.

sttroyiii
01/16/2006, 01:24 PM
What about my question regarding a skimmer?

sttroyiii
01/18/2006, 10:20 PM
bump

sttroyiii
01/18/2006, 10:36 PM
Is there any of those nice people out there that will mail a bag o' pods for seeding my tank? I can paypal for shipping or something if its just a few bucks.

sttroyiii
01/19/2006, 08:42 AM
Just got the LR from Premium Aquatics yesterday. I ordered 5lbs. of Kaelini premium cured and 5lbs. of Fiji premium cured. I got two 5lbs. rocks! I thought telling them it was a 20gal. tank helped in the rock selection. Anyway, they were shaped pretty nice. One is bowl shaped and gives the illusion there is a lot more rock under it.

[IMG]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/112147DSC00080.JPG[IMG]

sttroyiii
01/19/2006, 08:43 AM
Well I cant remember how to do the tags now...