PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Spreadsheet

crumbletop
01/14/2006, 08:36 AM
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have an excel spreadsheet that I could use as a logbook for my aquarium? I am just getting started and if someone already has something set up for monitoring various parameters over time that would be great. I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if possible...

Thanks

Vinny Kreyling
01/14/2006, 08:44 AM
Try looking up Aquarium Manager on the web. It is a layout for different tank parameters. Very basic. There are others also, you will have to decide what you like.

crumbletop
01/14/2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks. I'm interested in an excel spreadsheet, though. Anyone use excel and want to share your template?

Putawaywet
01/14/2006, 09:20 AM
I made one up. However, I'm on a MAC not windows so I'm not sure if you'd be able to open the file. I'd be happy to email it to you if you want to give it a try.

Brett

crumbletop
01/14/2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks, Brett. That would be great. As long as it is an excel spreadsheet, it should be fine.

doody
01/14/2006, 05:21 PM
I'd like to see it.

crumbletop
01/14/2006, 07:14 PM
Once I get something, I'll try to post it if it's alright with putawaywet. Anyone else with an excel template to share?

What should be tracked? Here's what I have thought of so far:

Water Changes (date, how much)
pH
Ammonia
Nitrate
Nitrite
Alk
Ca
Mg
Phosphate
Light Bulbs (date inserted -- prob 1 column per bulb with type)
Fish addtions?
Coral addtions?
Supplements?

Paintbug
01/14/2006, 07:29 PM
i just made a spread sheet to track all the test kits i currently have/use. (thanks for the idea!) i did a 7day with an average for each. i will be makeing maybe a word doc for things like water changes, light replacment, filter replacement, etc.

Scuba_Dave
01/14/2006, 07:42 PM
I simply use Excel & enter tasks, parameters as I test them
Sort of like an ongoing diary

Putawaywet
01/14/2006, 07:50 PM
I'm actually running 2 spreadsheets - One for water params and the other is my running log. However, I hardly use the water param tracker anymore as I do very little testing now.

The running log however, I use on a weekly basis. It has cells (working left to right) for the date, temp, feeding, direct maintenance (water changes, additives etc.,) and then remarks which is where I track additions, subtractions, general observations, etc,. I also use color, ie: green text for new acquisitions, red for things that have been removed, blue for water changes. This allows me to scan thru the data quickly and pick out what I'm looking for at that particular moment.

I'll send it off to you as soon as I get home from work.

Brett

crumbletop
01/16/2006, 03:27 PM
Anyone else with an excel spreadsheet you are willing to share?

Paintbug
01/16/2006, 03:36 PM
i can attach mine to try. i have added charts for the important readings(6 total) so now when you enter something in you get the avg. and a graphic chart so you can see the rise or fall for the week. its simple and i think the first excel doc i have done.

Fmellish
01/16/2006, 03:37 PM
I wish I had a couple days of free time, I am very interested in building a professional quality web-based aquarium tracking application.

I have been thinking about it for awhile now. Maybe once my weekends free up a little.

Josh

JimR
01/17/2006, 04:54 AM
I seen a real nice one on a fish forum, but I have lost the link. It was forum type software for the users.

lossman
01/17/2006, 06:49 AM
See if this is what you are looking for.

http://www.draquarium.com/

Or this.

http://www.seasky.org/aquarium/aquarium_software.html

MBuck
01/17/2006, 08:37 AM
You may also want to track when a fish goes into qt, so you know about when it should go ito the display....JMO....

Konadog
01/17/2006, 08:54 AM
Hear's another one I use:

http://www.infinitysoft.net/

crumbletop
01/18/2006, 11:00 AM
Here is a spreadsheet I have put together based on other input from this thread. I haven't added graphs yet (aka Paintbug's sheet). This lists dates as rows so you can have an unlimited number of entries. There is a separate tab for more detailed notes, and the notes tab could also possibly be a place to put photos of coral growth, etc, although I haven't added space for that yet. Take a look and see what you think...

JimR
01/18/2006, 03:03 PM
Could someone convert that .xls to .wdb for me please? I dont have excel, but do have Microsofts Works Database.

crumbletop
01/18/2006, 07:14 PM
JimR,

My version of excel (office 2003) doesn't seem to have a save as, or an export capability for .wdb files. Sorry...

JimR
01/18/2006, 10:17 PM
ok, thanx anyways.

PatMayo
01/18/2006, 10:24 PM
xls and wdb files are not compatible.

Pat

Carman34L
01/18/2006, 10:25 PM
They worked for me just fine.

Billionzz
01/19/2006, 12:00 AM
I have a nice one that I made for freshwater a couple of years ago, give me a couple of days and I will make some changes and convert it to saltwater.

I will post the freshwater spreadsheet tomorrow so you can take a look at it or use it for your freshwater tanks. Then I will post the saltwater spreadsheet by Fri.

This is an Excel spreadsheet with charts for any parameter you want.

If you want something more I can make some changes on it to a certain degree, also any suggestions for improvement would be welcome.

Bill

Purple Haze
01/19/2006, 12:12 AM
worked for me. Thanks

crumbletop
01/19/2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks, Billionzz. I look forward to seeing it!

Jack

theop
01/20/2006, 09:43 AM
Here is a new version which crumbletop and I collaborated on. There are quite a few improvements. I had to .zip it because it is 130K, which exceeds the max allowed size for an attachment. PM me if you would like me to email you the .xls file.

1. There is a place to put additives and the quantity used. Under the "Lists" tab, these can be customized.

2. The normal ranges for each water parameter are now listed under "Lists" and can be customized. Values outside of this range are highlighted in yellow to indicate undesirable levels.

3. Related to #2, you can choose the units of temperature (F or C) and alkalinity (dKH or meq/L) via a drop-down list on the column header units. This will change the normal ranges to the indicated units.

4. There is some basic data validation now, such as checking for numbers in appropriate fields.

5. You can delete a column if you never test for that item.

Let us know what you think and if you have any suggestions.

theop
01/20/2006, 10:05 AM
Oops forgot to put the attachment on. This is the .zip version:

theop
01/20/2006, 02:38 PM
Here is the "new" new version, with no real changes except being renamed and some instructions on changing the values of the normal ranges.

The Zipped file is attached.
You can download the excel file here. (http://www.the-sanders.net/ReefAquariumLog.xls)

abfleck
01/20/2006, 07:31 PM
Nice Work.....I may use it!

revnull
02/27/2006, 03:41 PM
Kicking the dust off of this one.

Great spread sheet! Keep up the good work. Please post any updates you may have/come up with.

Thanks!

crumbletop
02/27/2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the comments! :)

Jack

kabal2
03/20/2006, 04:52 PM
excelent log, i love the update, keep the good work

Marti
07/12/2006, 07:00 AM
This is GREAT! Thank you! :)

theop
07/12/2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the bump!

I am glad this is useful to people. If you have any suggestions about how to make it better, please PM me or crumbletop.

revnull
06/03/2007, 02:19 PM
Have there been any updates on this project?

Thanks!

crumbletop
06/03/2007, 06:45 PM
You bet!

I added automatic calculations for Randy's 2-part. The calculations are the same that are used on the reef chemistry calculator (http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/chemcalc.html). I use this for my own tank and it works fine. If you don't already use 2-part, I'd exercise caution. I got the calculations from jdieck, who I think got them from Randy Holmes-Farley.

I think I also added tabs for logging corals and other inhabitants -- I can't really remember if that was in the old spreadsheet or not...

Disclaimer: If you do decide to use the 2-part calulation feature, double check the calculations against the web calculator. Use the feature at your own risk. The only reason I mention this is you need to be careful dosing 2-part, and I don't want you to blindly trust the spreadsheet.

Here is the link to the latest spreadsheet:

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/c/r/crumbletop/ReefAquariumLog3.zip

PatMayo
06/04/2007, 10:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6519874#post6519874 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Konadog
Hear's another one I use:

http://www.infinitysoft.net/

I used to use that one all the time but it is not compatible with Vista. I was forced to go to an excel sheet.

The updating for that product does not seem to be too good.

I really liked the product so it's a shame it's not compatible with Vista?

Regards,

Pat

PatMayo
06/04/2007, 10:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10070611#post10070611 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crumbletop
You bet!

I added automatic calculations for Randy's 2-part. The calculations are the same that are used on the reef chemistry calculator (http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/chemcalc.html). I use this for my own tank and it works fine. If you don't already use 2-part, I'd exercise caution. I got the calculations from jdieck, who I think got them from Randy Holmes-Farley.

I think I also added tabs for logging corals and other inhabitants -- I can't really remember if that was in the old spreadsheet or not...

Disclaimer: If you do decide to use the 2-part calulation feature, double check the calculations against the web calculator. Use the feature at your own risk. The only reason I mention this is you need to be careful dosing 2-part, and I don't want you to blindly trust the spreadsheet.

Here is the link to the latest spreadsheet:

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/c/r/crumbletop/ReefAquariumLog3.zip

Very nice. You could also use graphs and look at your parameters over time which would give you a more grapical look at the data. That would be easy to do as well.

Very nice work.

Regards,

Pat

crumbletop
06/05/2007, 12:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10079283#post10079283 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PatMayo
Very nice. You could also use graphs and look at your parameters over time which would give you a more grapical look at the data. That would be easy to do as well.

Very nice work.

Regards,

Pat

I'd add the graphs if I knew how. Simple ones are easy, but simple isn't user friendly enough :)

What I'd like to do is have the normal range highlighted across the graph for a particular component, based on the ranges set by the users in the "lists" tab of the spreadsheet. Then graph using a line graph the actual measured values. I can get the normal ranges to show up, or the measured values, but I'm not enough of a graphing wizard to figure out how to combine them.

theop
06/05/2007, 02:34 PM
I've done a good bit of excel graphing, so I'll take a look at it when I have some time.

HPD Turbo
06/05/2007, 02:59 PM
Very nice!!

crumbletop
06/05/2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks, HPD!

Good to hear from you theop.

fishyface
06/05/2007, 09:14 PM
i've tried posting the one i've made but i got an error saying that my excel sheet was an invalid attachment. wha's up?

Konadog
06/05/2007, 10:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10086090#post10086090 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishyface
i've tried posting the one i've made but i got an error saying that my excel sheet was an invalid attachment. wha's up? It should work as long as it has a valid file extension.

Valid file extensions: txt zip pdf htm doc xls

fishyface
06/06/2007, 12:23 AM
it is an excel worksheet...but i get the following error when i try to attach the file:

"You have attempted to upload an invalid type of attachment. The valid extensions for attachments are: txt zip pdf htm doc xls"

scott26
06/18/2010, 02:10 PM
Rise from the dead o' thread. Sorry to bring this back up but has there been any imporvments with graphs?

thegrun
06/18/2010, 02:15 PM
116869 Try this.

colotl
06/18/2010, 07:19 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1775448&highlight=reef+logger

Try this out.

Gangrene
06/18/2010, 09:29 PM
I am an Excel guru(probably one of the top in the country)... Tell me what you want and I'll develop it for you or add bells and whistles as needed. IM me and let me know what you are looking for.

Chrissypoo
02/04/2012, 11:27 PM
Bump cause its cool

Alex_P
02/05/2012, 02:19 AM
Here is another for a six year old thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2089309

tebstan
02/05/2012, 03:05 AM
I'm actually running 2 spreadsheets - One for water params and the other is my running log. However, I hardly use the water param tracker anymore as I do very little testing now.

The running log however, I use on a weekly basis. It has cells (working left to right) for the date, temp, feeding, direct maintenance (water changes, additives etc.,) and then remarks which is where I track additions, subtractions, general observations, etc,. I also use color, ie: green text for new acquisitions, red for things that have been removed, blue for water changes. This allows me to scan thru the data quickly and pick out what I'm looking for at that particular moment.

I'll send it off to you as soon as I get home from work.

Brett

Wow. Color coding. What a good idea! Something so simple will change everything :)

I use an excel spreadsheet but it's simple. A column for the date, and rows for test results, water changes, dosing, and new additions. I'll start color coding since the last few rows get a little congested.