PDA

View Full Version : high calcium ?

rbp 4 135
01/14/2006, 10:23 PM
all right so i bought a calcium test kit, and started testing my water. It actually is off of the chart, but to my calculations is should be around 700. I know that is way high, but i am not dosing with any thing, i am using oceanic salt, and my substrate is argonite. So my question is, do you think that the test kit is correct or do i need to order another one ? Also what is the recomended method for lowering calcium levels?

PatMayo
01/14/2006, 10:30 PM
Who's test kit is it?

I can't recall for sure but I thought I saw someone mention that Oceanic salt was high in calcium. But I still don't think it would produce readings that high.

I think it may be a bad test kit or user error.

Did you buy an Alkalinity kit as well? You need to look at both because they move in relation to each other.

Regards,

Pat

Lamorak
01/14/2006, 10:37 PM
While I have no personal experience with Oceanic salt, I've read many threads regarding Oceanic and the slow increase in calcium levels overtime. The raising of the calcium levels depends upon how fast your tank is using calcium. If you have a high calcium demanding tank, it would take longer for the higher than normal calcium levels to occur. If your tank is a low calcium demand tank, you'll see the increase a lot faster.

If you've been doing regular water changes, add no additional suppliments, and you believe your tank is a low calcium demanding tank, then look towards the Oceanic salt. Try mixing up a batch to your desired specific gravity and test the calcium level of the new mix. If it's over 450, I'd say it was the salt. Some people have either changed to a different brand or have taken advantage of the higher calcium levels and have simply gone out and purchased another brand of salt that has lower calcium levels. Then they just do a 50/50 mix of Oceanic and whatever other salt they bought. Then they get a more desirable level of calcium with the new saltwater batch.

There is really no way to lower calcium levels other than wait until they naturally lower or perform a series of water changes with a salt mix that has a lower concentration of calcium.

Hope that helps.

raddogz
01/14/2006, 10:48 PM
I switched from Oceanic to Kent because the calcium levels were at about the 500 to 600 range. I use a Salifert Calcium test.

rbp 4 135
01/14/2006, 10:49 PM
i belive the test kit is doc wellfishes, probably crap, i need to order some salifert tests. any way the only live stock i have now are some rics, a green leather. Both seem to be doing well, infact several of the ric's are splitting. the tank is commin up on 3 months of opperation. so it may be a slow accumulation of calcium.