PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Eheim problem

petermai
01/15/2006, 06:31 AM
i recently bought a used 30gal bio-reef sump that came with an external Eheim 1060 pump and some funky insump skimmer with a broken pump setup that i've yet to ID. went to home depot with a friend to pick up all the plumping parts. got home, put the whole thing together, and after 5 minutes of running i noticed a puddle around the base of the Eheim pump. i cleaned up the puddle, had my girlfriend start it again to see whether it's a leak from my plumbing or is it coming from the pump.

it's the pump that's leaking. it's not leaking at return end nor is it leaking from the intake side. it seems to be leaking around the seal but it's hard to tell because it was in a tight spot behind the display so i took it to two shops today to have it looked at and everything seems fine. the o-ring was in great condition and i can't really figure it out why's it's leaking and so just to be safe i ordered a new o-ring but for the time being, i bought some "lifegard" silicone o ring lubricant to grease up the o-rings a bit.

so i have two questions...i went a little excessive with the lubricant, would it be bad to have that stuff in the water? secondly, has anyone had this problem or any ideas where the leak might be coming from? thanks.

peter