PDA

View Full Version : Darn that Skimmer!!!!

jastormont
01/15/2006, 01:53 PM
Hi,

I have had the great pleasure of having to get up at 4:30 in the morining to a leaky Skimmer. I am lucky I guess in the way that I have only lost about 1 - 1 1/2 buckets of water out of my tank, but that still makes a hell of a mess. :(

Anyway I have a hang on Jembo Venturi Skimmer (Rated at 180Gallon on a 50Gallon tank) and it has seem to me that for some reason the air flow I think was blocked or something like this and caused the Skimmer cup to fill up with the extra water pressure. I am so scared of this happening again and am thinking of way's to prevent this from happening again.

I have been looking at it and thinking that the I could design and drill a over flow drain into the the very top of the skimmer cup with some air hose that would go back into the tank. If I did one that would counter the extra water flow that could come into the skimmer do you think that this idea would be ok? I plan to make it as high as I could so that the skimmer garbage would not flow back into the tank unless a disaster like this happened again.

Cheers.....

jastormont
01/15/2006, 03:37 PM
Well any thoughts on this people?

Blown 346
01/15/2006, 04:04 PM
If you have the water in the skimmer set to high it will overflow intothe collection cup. Even thought the water level in the skimmer looks good when you set it, once it starts to pull organics from the tank it will quickly overflow into the collection cup. Or wet skim. Try re adjusting it, and lower the water level in the skimmer, this can take a few hours to do, to makes ure when the skimmer does start skimming it doesnt overflow.

yodawagon
01/15/2006, 04:05 PM
sounds like you have a JEBO skimmer. they are pretty cheaply made. you could put a drain hose on the collection cup, and try that. personally if i had a jebo skimmer sitting around, i would frankenstein something up with the parts. even then its like polishing a turd.

jastormont
01/15/2006, 04:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6506749#post6506749 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yodawagon
sounds like you have a JEBO skimmer. they are pretty cheaply made. you could put a drain hose on the collection cup, and try that. personally if i had a jebo skimmer sitting around, i would frankenstein something up with the parts. even then its like polishing a turd.

Yes sorry it is a Jebo, although you say it was cheapply made it did cost a bit and was lead to belive it was a better skimmer then a few I had looked at. Mine has been quite and up until to day not missed a beat. The water level is as low as I can make it (Air valve fully open), but the water is at the base od the cap not actually up into it where it over flows. It has started to skim allready and froth up but not with water just froth. I think that some how the air valve clogged although I can not find why or where.