PDA

View Full Version : cpr overflow

J_Geisinger000
01/15/2006, 03:25 PM
Just a question I was going to get one of these and wonderd if they work ok Ive heard of them loosing syphon any one with any experiance or info please post

manderx
01/15/2006, 03:37 PM
most people don't like them. in order to make them slim and not take up much tank space, they had to sacrifice reliability. this design *wants* to fail, so you have to use active measures to keep them from failing. most common is an aqualifter to suck bubbles out 24/7.

monkey61672
01/15/2006, 03:58 PM
I just recently posted on a similar topic. I have one (900) and my only concern about it is the aqualifter. Mine is working fine right now but if the power were to go out for a prolonged period of time the lifter doesnt get the siphon/vacuum back. It does keep the air from developing in to overflow.

Later this week I will be attempting to splice the line and add a second to see if that works.

I also doent know of any other options for me:(

Paulairduck
01/15/2006, 04:10 PM
I have used one and had problems with it. ebay material. I have the life reef overflow and it is the cadillac of all overflows, but it is expensive at 189 for the double and 109 for the single. I just tried the eshopps overflow from premium aquatics for a refugium and it works great also, not the quality of the lifereef but I like the price. I have tried to get it to fail and it will not. The only thing it is noisy, so I made up the stockman silencer for the 1 inch drain, and it 1000% better know. if money is no object go with the lifereef

:smokin:

Blown 346
01/15/2006, 04:19 PM
I would avoid this overflow, when power goes out or the pump gets dirty or decides to die you will have a flood. If the CPR oveflows were so good why would you need a pump to make it work properly? The u tube designs are far better and wont leave you worrying about a flood.
The only time I would reccomend the CPR units is for the larger tanks of 1250 gallons and more. The reason being is that CPR overflows are designed for alot of flow. The U tube designs stop after about 1200 GPH with the double u tube and drains.

J_Geisinger000
01/15/2006, 06:08 PM
wich brand do you guys recommend?

Billionzz
01/15/2006, 06:54 PM
I've had one for a couple of years, if buy one you need to watch the aqualifter because it only last around 6 months.

You do have the option of running a power head for priming instead of the aqualifter.

While I have never had a problem with a power failure, I did have had a overflow when the aqualifter continued to loose it's efficiency. It overflowed but after the first time I knew to check the aqualifter ever so often for proper operation.

All that said, it works pretty good now but if I was to buy a new overflow I would choose another brand.

Bill

Blown 346
01/15/2006, 07:23 PM
I reccomend the u tube design opverflows. I have a CPR overflow on my 125 and have had it for over 3 years with the pump never to fail. But I purchased it when I began this hobby and learned the hard way after I had 2 floods form a power outtage.

J_Geisinger000
01/15/2006, 08:20 PM
what is a couple u tube brands and where to get them?

outy
01/15/2006, 11:30 PM
cpr can be made reliable with proper set up

first put the aqualifter on or around your sump so that you have a syphon and the aqualifter never has to work except when i do a water change and drain the cpr, use the little 2 dollar prefilter. Im going on a year with the same aqulifter. with that said i also have a baffle in my sump so that if failure does happen only so much water can be sent to the tank before the return pump sucks that area of my sump dry not overflowing my tank.

i did u tubes for 8 years and they are a pain to clean and constanly maintaining them was enough. I dont mess with my cpr much clean the air knipple now and then and take the airline of every now and then so a baby snail can get unstuck lol thats it.

they both have there pros and cons [utube constant cleaning but no overflows] [cpr you have to set up rite with just a little maintanance]

sjm817
01/15/2006, 11:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6508479#post6508479 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by J_Geisinger000
what is a couple u tube brands and where to get them?
The best two are Amiracle and Lifereef, but any U Tube overflow is reliable.
The main difference between the Amiracle and Lifereef is flow capability. The LR will outflow the Amiracle (or any other) by quite a bit. It is really a top notch product.
Lifereef (http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html)
Amiracle (http://www.aquacorals.com/ShopOverflows.htm)

Smacky
01/16/2006, 05:43 AM
I had a CPR overflow on my 150G. I had problem with it overflowing some. At first I was trying to use a powerhead to keep the siphon, and then went to the aqua lifter pump. I had it overflow three times with that. It did good for a while and the power went off. I am not sure if the pump needed replacing or what. My return pump from the sump is about 1,000 to 1,200GPH. After the third time I had my tank drilled, so I do not have any problems now with overflowing. Would like to have more overflow now. I put the cpr in the attic, not sure if I will use it anymor or not.