PDA

View Full Version : Die MicroBubbles! Die!

lakee911
01/16/2006, 10:45 AM
How should I go about reducing my microbubbles? Bubbles seem to be disappating in baffles in my sump (over, under, over), but when the water falls into the return area (maybe 2 or 3 inches) its making more bubbles that get sucked into te pump and end up in the display tank.

Thx
Jason

Blown 346
01/16/2006, 10:57 AM
Put a piece of sponge cut to fit in the baffle.

Ereefic
01/16/2006, 11:22 AM
auto top off. :)

eshook
01/16/2006, 11:24 AM
Cut a piece of acrylic the length of your return baffle with it being a little higher than the height. Then angle it so it will allow the water to gently move to the return instead of crash and create bubbles.

You can also make it a little shorter and just the height difference between the top and the water line. Basically you just want a gentle movement of water instead of crashing which is creating more bubbles.

The sponge idea might fester bacteria...

GP
01/16/2006, 01:07 PM
I think the sponge works great. Just remember to do routine rinses w/ the sponge to avoid nitrate spikes.

lakee911
01/16/2006, 06:54 PM
I tried adjusting the water level, but its not too much help. I'm begining to think that I made the baffles too close together. (They're only 3/4" apart and the one 3/4" off the bottom, 12" wide) Upon closer inspection, I can see the microbubbles going all the way through the baffles (and mixing w/ the ones falling at the end).
Ideally, I'd move about 350-400GPH. I think I've got it cut down to maybe 100GPH right now and they're minimal--but still too many. :(

I will try thee sponge idea and see what happens. I'll try to get some tomorrow evening, but I'm not convinced that'll do the trick. I think it might cause enough restriction to raise the water level over my top baffle. *sigh*

Sump is glass so I can cut apart all the baffles and try again if I need to. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Thanks,
Jason

Gobie
01/16/2006, 07:07 PM
See if you can get bio balls to fit in between the baffles, fill up the space to the top. This way you won't have to worry about replacing the sponge and keeping it clean and the water will flow strait through, minus the air bubbles.

fishpimp69
01/16/2006, 07:30 PM
wouldn't the bio balls create nitrate overtime?

Gobie
01/16/2006, 07:48 PM
No because they will be submerged and there won’t be a lot of them to collect detritus, like you would have in a trickle filter. You are just using them to brake up the water and release the air.

lakee911
01/16/2006, 07:48 PM
The Bioballs I have are slightly too big. I've heard of LR rubble being placed where the water is draining from the overfow in the display tank. Think this will help? I hate to break up some nice rock for nothing.

Jason

Gobie
01/16/2006, 08:01 PM
The last chamber should be over under then to the return pump, not over under over, you are making an unnecessary last waterfall. Take out the last baffle.

lakee911
01/17/2006, 08:01 AM
If I remove the last chamber, I'll get a lot of microbubbles getting through--see post above--if anything, I wonder if I should *ADD* another chamber and space it out a little bit--maybe 1.5 inches or so to give them a chance to disappate with slowed water?

I wasn't sure if I should go with over under over baffles or under over under baffles, but I went with the later because that is our Melev did it in all of his sumps.

Thx
Jason