PDA

View Full Version : Best way to rasie PH

tikireefer
01/16/2006, 12:18 PM
What is the best way to raise the PH in a reef tank. My PH seems to be stuck at around 8.0. I know that it needs to be higher than that, but I don't want to just go to the LFS and buy PH - UP. I have read that is not a smart way of raising the level. Thanks for any help in advance!

DrBDC
01/16/2006, 12:27 PM
How do you measure your pH? If with a probe, what brand calibration solutions?

tikireefer
01/16/2006, 12:31 PM
I use "Aquarium Pharmaceuticals" Saltwater master - Liquid Test kit

DrBDC
01/16/2006, 12:36 PM
I probably wouldn't mess with it as the liquid tests are unreliable except Salifert. 8.0 is a.o.k. although on the low side. Stability is much more important. Does it drop at night to lower levels and is it morning, eve, or in the middle when you test? How is surface movement as a buildup of co2 can also cause lowering. A simple test for that is to take the sample outside with an airpump and aerate it for 10 minutes then retest and see if it is increased. Here is a good article on pH.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

TekCat
01/16/2006, 01:18 PM
pH 8.0 is good, no need to mess with it (as stated previously). It wouldn't hurt to dose kalk, but you have to carefully monitor your Calcium and alkalinity, otherwise it's going to be a mess.
I'd leave it, and maybe increase aeration: remove top (if you have one), and with powerhead's output targetted to the surface increase water surface agitation.