PDA

View Full Version : Possibley a Dumb Question - Concerning Internal Overflows

Bill0814
01/16/2006, 04:59 PM
Hello,

I am in the process of setting up a 28 Gallon Mini-Reef. Stand is complete, and before I move on to the Canopy, i need to complete the tank - i.e. adding an internal overflow in the corner.

The main purpose of the overflow is to :

1. Hide the heater
2. Hide the intake tube, of the hang on HOB filter (carbon and H2O movement)
3. Hide the addition of a small skimmer at a later date (maybe)

I haven't run a tank since 1997, but was successful for several years when I did.

On to the question....

In testing the tank, PH's, water flow, etc.... I have good watermovement and surface ripple. In running the set up test, I decided that the overflow should perhaps do more than hide equipment...act as a surface skimmer, etc....

So, now I am trying to figure out dimensions and GPH that will allow the waterline to remain above the tank trim (or make a lower canopy) yet atill allow for surface skimming from the overflow (not just have a submerged box hiding equipment.

Anyone that can get me pointed in the right direction?

E-A-G-L-E-S
01/16/2006, 05:02 PM
does this this overflow drain to a sump?

Bill0814
01/16/2006, 05:07 PM
no. no sump.

I had an eggcrate enclosure, but wanted to make an acrylic overflow instead, that way no fish, crabs, etc..could get to it as well as I could then rib the top to create the surface breaking action.

Of course, I could do the same and just drill holes all along it, but would then lose the surface breaking, but would not run risk of draining it through evaporation.

Bill0814
01/17/2006, 12:57 PM
Bump for more info :eek2: