PDA

View Full Version : Red Slime problem........

waverz
01/16/2006, 06:06 PM
Been battleing red slime for a a few weeks now, it started in a spot with low lighting and flow and is now spreading all over. My tank is a 24 gallon with a 10 gallon barebottom sump/fuge. I just checked my water parameters Nitrates were 0 Phophates were 0, my alk was low around 120, and ph was low as well, it was at 7.4. Does alk and PH affect red slime? Would getting it back to where it should be, aid in getting rid of it?

What would be some good ways to maintain alk? Should i have a sandbed in my sump to help buffer?

SNAKEMANVET
01/16/2006, 09:25 PM
They make a product called chemi-clean that really works.It is made by boyd enterprises. It did a real good job on my tank .the red slime is form of bacteria.took about 3 days to clear up.

waverz
01/16/2006, 09:48 PM
If heard of this product, ive also heard that it was only a temp fix and not a true solution. I did find this link that was pretty intresting.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=725686&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

SNAKEMANVET
01/16/2006, 09:55 PM
with this product you may have to repeat after 48 hours.indoing so you must do a 20% water change.it has been almost 3 months since my treatment. what i was told caused this was uneating food that seattled in my substrate.

steve the plumb
01/17/2006, 12:42 AM
I have used the boyd chemi clean and found it works well.Randy is not a fan of it because he does not know whats in it ,so I do understand his point.You are putting a chemical in the tank that has not listed what may or may not be inside.It does make you wonder.I have had friends use this product yet red slime came back months later.If there is a better treatment using a non chemical method I would rather go that way V.S. the chemi-clean.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/17/2006, 11:02 AM
IMO, the best ways to treat cyano are to increase flow, reduce nutrients (nitrate and phosphate) and also to reduce organics (carbon, skimming,ozone, etc).
and ph was low as well, it was at 7.4. Does alk and PH affect red slime?

No, but with a pH that low, calcifying organisms like coralline algae and hard corals won't grow, and so will leave more nutrients to the cyano.

As Steve said, I prefer to not add unidentified things, especially when I do not have confidence in the company providing it.