PDA

View Full Version : Anemone

Subatomic Disru
01/17/2006, 05:12 AM
I've been keeping a FOWLR and I'm interested in keeping an anemone. I've seen some Yellow Sebae Anemone in my LFS and they look quite attractive. Resisting buying of impulse (which I am sometimes guilty of ;) ), I decided to research on it but haven't been able to find much info bout it.

Will it make a good beginners anemone? What is the minimum tank size recommended for keeping one?

BLKTANG
01/17/2006, 05:54 AM
IMO,no anemone is good for a beginer,but remember if you get one they will move around stinging corals.Also they require lots of light,& they get big espically a sabae.

binski
01/17/2006, 06:18 AM
Read through this article before you buy.

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

binski :thumbsup:

Subatomic Disru
01/17/2006, 10:34 AM
Ok thanks for the link binski! The article is quite helpful.

I didn't mean beginner in that sense of newbie to fish. I've been keeping FOWLR for sometime, about almost a year. I'm interested in crossing over to reef, and I plan to start with an anemone since they have always fascinated me. I have a valentini puffer in a 15 gallon and I'm planning to convert it into a nano reef and been doing much research. I'm using a 100 W florescent lighting that provides 1040 lumens of light for the tank. Is that sufficient lighting for a sebae anemone?

robszar
01/17/2006, 10:44 AM
yes, thats good enough
BTA's are easier to keep though, check them out

idua
01/17/2006, 10:58 AM
How big is your tank? Unless it’s a nano I suspect that 100W of florescent will not be sufficient for the anemone you are considering. If you are thinking about switching your FO to a reef you will need more lightning anyway. I would probably think about upgrading before making the switch and getting the anemone.

Anemia
01/17/2006, 11:16 AM
Personally I don't think 100w of florescent is even close for an anemone, especially a "sebae." It would be worth finding out whether this particular "sebae" is a H. Crispa or a H. Malu. I had a malu under 250w halide for 2 years before it mysteriously shirveled up and died for a reason I have never figured out. It appeared to be doing great for the 24 months I had it prior though. Nice cocoa brown color. :(

As a final thought: I wouldn't buy an anemone from anyone advertising it as a "yellow sebae." Is it actually yellow? If so, it's dyed and you don't want it.

REV
01/17/2006, 05:09 PM
Did you say a 15 Gallon? Most Sebaes can grow to nearly 20 inches!! Is that ALL you want in your tank?

Subatomic Disru
01/17/2006, 11:47 PM
I think it's dyed now that I've checked online. The anemones are bright yellow. Another odd thing I noticed is that there are 3 of them hudding at bottom corner of the tank. One of the anemones mouth is wide open, and I read that is not a good indicator of health. And stranger still, the 3 anemones are in a dark corner of the tank. Shouldn't they be elsewhere with more intense lighting?