PDA

View Full Version : What plastic is non toxic for BB, besides starboard.

kevensquint
01/17/2006, 11:01 AM
This is a borderline DYI question, but I have heard that some kinds of plastics can leach bad things like phosphates. What kinds of plastics are suitible, or if easier, what kinds should I avoid. I was going to use starboard like everyone else, but around here it would cost me $160. Too much, I could use lexan or plexiglass for half that price. thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/17/2006, 11:57 AM
IMO, most sheet plastics will be fine. Some will float, however, and some sink. Not a problem once things are on top of it, but perhaps soemthing to keep in mind.

grim
01/17/2006, 02:33 PM
Go with teflon, a much cooler imho. The detritus just sliiiiiiides right off.. :)

jb

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/17/2006, 02:47 PM
Yes, the perfect choice.... for Bill Gates. :D

kevensquint
01/17/2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks, it just so happens that I saw a sheet of white acrylic that is 1/4 of the price of starboard. I would assume that siliconing it to the bottom of the tank would eliminate the floating problem.

grim
01/18/2006, 06:14 AM
Why even go through all that trouble? I never really understood the benefits an inert (and expensive) piece of plastic really provided. As far as protecting the bottom? Nonsense. Ask any old reefer worth his salt about the first time barebottoms came into fashion. Everybody stacked rock on glass.

By the way some people on this board talk, you'd think they owned stock in the company.. :)

grim

BeanAnimal
01/18/2006, 11:05 AM
MY LFS and most others I have seen keep their LR stacked to the top of BB tanks. I have sen some pretty hefty rocks fall and not break the glass as well. Most tank bottoms are tempered and therefore very strong. Car door windows are tempered... go to the junk yard and try to throw a rock through one. Don't be suprised when the rock bounces back and hit you between the eyes.

Bean

kevensquint
01/18/2006, 11:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6529170#post6529170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
Don't be suprised when the rock bounces back and hit you between the eyes.

Bean Thanks, but the first part of your comment was sufficient.:)

BeanAnimal
01/18/2006, 11:30 AM
In my case it was a paving brick... hurled with a three step run-up... true story :)

Bean

Hobster
01/19/2006, 01:21 PM
Kevin,

Why not check at WalMart or Warehouse clubs and get white cutting boards (same as Starboard)? If it is for a 65 gal it would be 3_ 12 X18 boards around $35 or less depending.
Just an example:
http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/cuttingboards.asp?id=1

AIMFish
01/20/2006, 08:21 AM
I've been wondering what the fascination w/ starboard was and is that it, people not wanting to break the galss in the bottom of their tanks? Come on starboard users speak up!:eek2: :p

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/20/2006, 10:53 AM
The only reason that I have contemplated using a plastic sheet on the bottom is to protect the glass against being broken by a dropped object (like a tool or rock when empty, a big rock when full, etc.)

I do not have one in any current systems.