PDA

View Full Version : Ideal LPS Setup- Tell Me!

Madoktopus
01/17/2006, 11:17 AM
ok ive been an SPS geek for a while now but really adore my LPS, but apart from my collection of challices (just picked a new 5 in tabular skin pink for £25!) the rest dont seem to be doing as well as i would have hoped in my tank (lost a favia and had to retuirn a bright red brain). so i was thinkin about setting up a new LPS and softie tank but mainly LPS of around 25 Uk Gal. I Really need to know what i should be aiming for in terms of lighting, filtration, parameters, flow etc. i will post specs of my tank soon.

any advice welcomed.
madok.

Madoktopus
01/17/2006, 12:36 PM
Whoops! I Meant Turbinarians!

Madoktopus
01/17/2006, 12:43 PM
Ok Heres specs Of My Main 40uk gal:

-250w 14k halide with 2 T8 actinic .
-deltec mce600 skimmer.
-2 maxijet ph 1200 facing front and a ph 400 on rotating nozzle.
-filtered primarily by live rock and small internal containing rowaphos, carbon, nitrate sponge and polyfilter and some sponge.
-nearly bare bootom- still some sand left.

Unable to say params as they need testing at the moment but ph is normally a litle low as is calcium occasionally. cant understand why i lost those LPS so i would like a bit of help with this new tank.

David Grigor
01/17/2006, 02:35 PM
Agreed that some LPS don't like the low-nutrient the Acropora like. I myself am in the processing of going to two seperate systems. What I have been very succesful with in the past ( and present as I maintain a tank at our church ), is very simple.

Lighting wise, for LPS dominate tank I find VHOs to be the best. I've used T5s and just about every wattage of MH and have gotten the best results with VHO only.

Parameters not near as critical IMO as your accustom too.

Alk DKH 7-8.
CA above 380ppm.

All topoff is Kalkwasser which helps maintain the PH, and CA. Do occassionally have to add Alk and CA additives but mostly just once a week.

If using good filtered water, phophate remover shouldn't as critical. Kalk helps bind it. Most LPS like a little diritier water so a small sandbed isn't as detremental as SPS.

Madoktopus
01/17/2006, 03:10 PM
ok thanks it was just really disheartening too see beautiful expensive corals wither away for no apparent reason. still gonna do more research on here and more help would be appreciated (that goes to anyone with experience theyd like to share). thanks again madok.

blange3
01/17/2006, 03:19 PM
I’m in the process of setting up a 75 us gal LPS tank with built in overflow and a sump. I currently have a 55 us gal mixed softie/LPS tank and plan on migrating most of the LPS to the new tank.

For flow I have a MAG7 on the return and a closed loop with a SCWD. I’m starting the closed loop off with a MAG7 as well because I have one. But I’m expecting to upgrade that to at least a MAG12. All returns use Loc-Line tubing so I can adjust the flow easily. If more flow is required I’ll add a small Seio or 2.

I have a Coral Life Super Skimmer 125 and will run some carbon in the sump. I try to do 10% water changes weekly, but it usually averages 3x a month. There will be a sand bed, but I haven’t decided how deep yet.

I was leaning to T5 lighting or perhaps a T5/VHO hybrid with VHO actinics, but David has me thinking again about VHO only. :eek1: My current tank is VHO only and everything looks great and is doing well.
:thumbsup: