PDA

View Full Version : why my green brain coral doesn't look so good

BadRoma1
01/17/2006, 12:45 PM
just did first hand feeding of my green brain coral with plancton. few hours after the brain developed 3 small holes in it's tissue. then the hole that's in a middle got bigger and i can see coral's white stringy tissue. he didn't open up this morning and sitting shriveled up. from shriveling one of the small holes closed up. i have never seen anything like that on this guy before. both small holes also had the body shown. the hole in a middle is about an inch long. what do i do?

Paintbug
01/17/2006, 02:27 PM
are you sure you are not seeing the mouths? the shriveling up is a sign of stress. have you changed anything in the tank lately?

MIKE NY
01/17/2006, 02:31 PM
how long have you had it? water quality? flow? lighting?......if it's a new addition give it time to aclimate.The hole in the middle is it's mouth( some have a few, mine has two) and the stringy stuff coming from it may be it expelling excess zoo. Mine stays shriveled for awhile after it expells too. When I first got it I fed it about once or twice a week for a few months so it aclimated well with krill or large mysis like the PE brand. I haven't fed it directly in years now......here's mine on the bottom with medium flow............
http://images.snapfish.com/345%3A76433%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2323%3D%3C5%3C%3D6%3B9%3D3232%3C5%3C5%3C84%3A4nu0mrj

BadRoma1
01/17/2006, 06:08 PM
i had it for few months. it has 4 mouths. i know that there is something wrong with it. meybe i just got to see the holes because the way it opened and showed those spots after i fed it. i know that i saw inside of the brain without its skin. it's under helides in medium flow on the bottom of a tank. the two holes are near little moths and the biggest hole is inside the middle.

BadRoma1
01/17/2006, 10:52 PM
help!!! what do i do with the brain coral that has problems with its tisue? is it dieing?:confused:

TippyToeX
01/17/2006, 10:56 PM
Is it on the sandbed? Did you acclimate it to your MH? What is you water quality (numbers)? Are you feeding it? Do you have any fish that might be picking on it? Can you post any pictures?

Sorry for all the Q's. But that info will help.

Wiskey
01/17/2006, 11:00 PM
I had trouble with mine when I first got it, try putting it in a shadowed place for a few days and see if it improves, if it does not then move it back into the light.

We need more information on your tank for better suggestions what lighting, what size tank, what are your water peramiters?

HTH,
Whiskey

BadRoma1
01/18/2006, 11:49 AM
i had problems with my computer, i coudn't get on it. o.k. i just did my water change. everything bad is at 0. salt at 1.023 all the time. i add all the stuff as usualy, like calcium, which is at 440, stronium, iodine. i hand fed it for the first time few days ago with plancton, usualy i put marine snow in. i have one helide bolb with blue spectram light and the night lights. my tank is 40 gallons. there is a possibility of some type of chimical getting into the tank, i suspect, but not sure. just in case i've been using different sponges and charkol to make sure that if there is something in my water so it would get it out. is there anything out there that helps to heal corals with tissue damege? is it able to recover on its own? today it's still shriveled, the wound in a middle doesn't look as bad as the first day, one of the small wounds closed up and another small one is still there. now where the wound in the middle, the coral's bone is showing next to it.

BadRoma1
01/18/2006, 12:46 PM
i just checked on him again. he is not shriveled at the moment. but i still want to assure his servival. please, help. my temperature is at 80, ph is 8.2. my gree pollips next to the brain don't look right too. the flowers even open, but not all the way. they have not been comming out lately, but i did notice that my lownblenny sits on them often.

Gobie
01/18/2006, 12:55 PM
Do you have peppermint shrimp or a butterfly fish?

BadRoma1
01/18/2006, 12:59 PM
no.

Gobie
01/18/2006, 01:08 PM
Do you test for iodine?
You don’t need to add iodine it’s unnecessary and dangerous.
Also you don't have to add stronium.

sandman450f
01/18/2006, 01:22 PM
Yeah i would say test for and then kick that iodine also. It may not be your problem, but it is dangerous. Are you adding it for Xenia? The xenia will do just fine without it. I had a similar problem with a lrge closed brain, It turned out to be one of the anemones whiched perched above it. Every so often a tentacle would reach its way to the brain. I lost about 20% before I even noticed the tissue recession (was all hidden), the brain didnt make it.

BadRoma1
01/18/2006, 01:27 PM
i add iodine about every 5 days, stronium also about every 5, 6 days. on iodine bottle it sais to add every other day and on stronium avery 4 days. i do not test for iodine because i don't get the readings. the shades of blue on a test strips are so close to one another that i can't tell the difference, only between the lightest blue and the darkest blue which are on two different ends.

BadRoma1
01/18/2006, 01:34 PM
forgot to say that the brain sits in the front on the bottom byhimself, surounded by small fether dusters. the damege of a brain is at about 5%.

BadRoma1
01/18/2006, 07:03 PM
my bubble coral has pink pimples on top of several bubbles. do you guys know why?

BadRoma1
01/18/2006, 09:23 PM
that was my new tread i put on forum. i looked around some more and somebody else recomended to put it out into the light more and provide high water flow. so, i'll try that, even thogh i hate to move it right now. i'll do it tomorrow, because i'm not sure what to do with anything at the moment.

TippyToeX
01/18/2006, 09:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6530343#post6530343 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BadRoma1
i add iodine about every 5 days. i do not test for iodine because i don't get the readings. the shades of blue on a test strips are so close to one another that i can't tell the difference, only between the lightest blue and the darkest blue which are on two different ends.

That might be a bg problem then. Get a high quality test kit like Salifert. So you know the reads. You could be overdosing and not know it.

Never dose for what you can not test for.

BadRoma1
01/18/2006, 10:05 PM
i'll stop adding stronium and iodine for now. meybe in a month i'll add some and after that meybe just once a month just in case.

zukihara
01/18/2006, 10:37 PM
Ah, what would be the reason for "just in case"? Here is a link explaining why you are getting the advice on Iodine and Stronium. I hope it helps.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

BadRoma1
01/19/2006, 11:37 AM
thank you very much. that article allowed me too see that i have too much stronium in my system, because i do use instant ocean. i fear that i have been poisoning my brain coral. i'll return my iodine and stronium suplements back to the store for store credit.