PDA

View Full Version : Acro losing color

COONREEF
01/17/2006, 08:28 PM
I just got my first piece of Acro and placed in the tank. Good water movement, VHO lighting and good Salinty. Day later the piece started to change color no its all white is the piece dead or what. Any help would be good.
Thanks RYAN

Sparkss
01/17/2006, 09:20 PM
all white sounds like an RTN event. If it does look like a skeleton, then it most likely is, I am afraid. Are there any polyps visible ? What are you parameters ? IE: nitrate, calc, alk, phos, temp, exact lighting and coral placement ? which acro ? (there are too many to try to guess). What other tank inhabitants ? fish, inverts, etc

jsweir
01/17/2006, 09:45 PM
Can you see polyp extension? It may be bleached and not dead. If so, move it down to the bottom of the tank for a few weeks.

COONREEF
01/18/2006, 09:01 AM
Ca 475, and Alk 9.8. Salinty in 1.023. Nitrie 0. Have no seen any polyp extension that I can see. The piece still has a little color. Anything else I should be looking for.

dirtyreefer
01/18/2006, 10:35 AM
Phosphate? Magnesium?

Bugger
01/18/2006, 12:00 PM
If there's no polyp extension it's gonna probally die. just my two cents.

Sparkss
01/18/2006, 12:25 PM
your Ca and Alk sound a bit high, especially for your salinity. As dirtyreefer asked, what are your phosphates and magnesium looking like ? What temperature is your tank ? does the temp change dramatically throughout the day ?.. Also, with your VHOs, how many ? what kelvin ? how close to water ? how close to coral frag ? ligthing cycle duration ? What coral is it ? (this can make a major difference for things, including placement, lighting, flow, etc). What other inhabitants ? IE: other corals, or fish, or inverts.

As Bugger, jsweir and others have asked about, the PE is important as polyps are a good indicator of coral general health, although I have had healthy corals that had almost no visible PE, unless you looked really close :). Check it at night after lights out to see if there are any polyps visible as most come out alot more at night.

Sparkss
01/18/2006, 12:29 PM
oh, and what is your PH ?