PDA

View Full Version : ocellaris clownfish and anemones

rsxs1212
01/17/2006, 09:03 PM
I have two ocellaris clownfish and neither of them go into the anemones i have. I have a pink tipped anemone but i didnt expect them to go in there becaues they dont tipically do to my understanding. I do have a long tentacled anemone though which i was told they would host in. They are not going in. They dont even seem to look at it. Both are full grown but the male is a little bit smaller which is supposed to be to my knowledge. They were both tank bred according to my LFS so i assume they are. I was told not to get wild ones because they carry disease alot. I dont want disease in my tank!! but i would like my clownfish to host. should i get rid of these clownfish and get wild ones or should i get a different species of anemones.????

thanks

budjr8000
01/18/2006, 09:00 PM
they normally host to ritteri (sp?) and carpet anemones and they will take to bublle tip anemones! but it can take a while for the anemone to begin hosting them.

ReefWaters
01/19/2006, 03:51 PM
This may sound crazy but has anyone ever tried netting a clown and essentially "forcing" him into an anemone?

Im sure this is not a great idea but I was just curious if anyone has done it and if it happens to work. :D

chip721
01/19/2006, 04:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6525538#post6525538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rsxs1212
should i get rid of these clownfish and get wild ones or should i get a different species of anemones.???? This probably isn't what you want to hear, but IMO I'd give them more time. I read a strange tip on this forum that shining a light on the anemone at night for a few minutes might get the clown to notice it. I have a BTA that my perc clown simply ignored for months. It preferred sleeping hovering near a powerhead. I tried the light trick a few nights in a row, and within a week the clown was hosting in the BTA. I don't know if it was the light trick or just time and coincidence. At least it won't cost anything to try. Good luck.

Genin
01/19/2006, 04:39 PM
my ocellaris hosted in both a sebae and a bta. they only took a couple of hours for the bulb timp and immediately for the sebae.

raeh1
01/19/2006, 05:56 PM
The best way I have found is.

The clowns will generally hang around one area of the tank.

My ones liked a bit of hair grass.

Then I moved a torch coral there they used that as a host.

I got a long tenticle anemone and they were not interest for about 4 weeks.

So I put it beside the torch coral one night. Got up in the morning and they were in the anemone.

Then after about two weeks I moved the anemone and they followed it.

kray
01/20/2006, 03:53 PM
i bought a captive raisesed clown from my lfs about 4 days ago and it had a wild clown in the tank that taught him to host to the anemone. knowing that i had left the captive raised clown behind my heart split so i bought both of them and now they are hosting to my big bubble tip.