PDA

View Full Version : latch key lps? any hardy lps that can be left home alone?

fishypapas
01/17/2006, 09:55 PM
are there many, or any, corals (lps) and fish (small) that can handle simple automation for a few days at a time?

i'd like to make sure that leaving the reef for a few days or a week for either business or pleasure would be plausable.

the tank will be around 70 gallons or so (maybe 90 if i go custom cubish) with as large a sump as i can get, with auto top off of the vitals.

i could handle keeping it simple with a few corals, plenty of rock, and a few fish.

any suggestions?

also, can feedings be simplified for a short period of time, ie basic foods for all and not targeting anything specific, that "mom" or the non-interested friend could easily follow for a short period of time?

thanks

fp

ps i didnt get any hits in the reef forum + unable to do a search, so sorry if there is info available that i am not able to get to.

musty baby
01/17/2006, 10:48 PM
replied to your post in the reef forum.

summary:

only lps I feed are sun corals

I don't feed my fish for a few days at a time anyway

you can always simplify feedings to get the job done.

fishypapas
01/17/2006, 10:59 PM
sorry for the x-post with lps forum

so i can plan my week trip to vancouver this summer and not worry about my reef? woohoo.

now i need a combo of fish and lps that wouldnt mind being "home alone"

heres what id like to keep, feel free to give me yays or nays:

corals:
1.brains
2.candy
3.trumpet
4.hammer
5.acans
6.frogspawn

fish:
1.clowns
2.cards
3.gobies
4.blennies

not that ill have all of these, but a selection thereof that can adhere to the aforementioned scenario

fp

musty baby
01/18/2006, 01:06 AM
If conditions are right for the corals you're good for those. Can't hurt to have someone throw some food in (amount premeasured by you) for the fish mid-trip, but I wouldn't personally worry about it (depending on which fish you get and what exactly they eat and if part of their diet is supplied by the tank itself)

There are always the vacation feeders that dissolve and release food, too.

Vamp75
01/18/2006, 02:27 AM
It wouldn't hurt if someone is available to just pop in & check on your tank, strange things can happen. Trust me I know from experience!