PDA

View Full Version : pairing up maroons

DMK
01/17/2006, 11:04 PM
tomorrow i'm getting my RBTA. after it's settled i will get a pair of young maroon clowns. i was going to buy a wild caught mating pair from live aquaria, but now want only tank raised. only way to get tank raised is to try and pair 2 up at store. is it that complicated? i bought a pair of regular percs before, never had to pair up myself. all i really need to do is get 1 bigger than other, and try and pick a big and smaller 1 that seems to be hanging together, right? i was at store the other day and they had about 10-15 small, 1 1/2-2" beautiful tak raised maroons. i seen a few pairs, or what seemed to be pairs, 1 bigger than other hanging out nicely. when i go back for them next week after RBTA is settled, what exactly should i look for to get a pair of young maroons?

prodman
01/18/2006, 02:53 AM
The best way to pair them ime is to get a larger female and then add the smallest male you an find. Or if you can buy them as a pair that works too. I dont know how big your anemone is but maroons are very rough on them and will damage it severly if its not large enough. It should be 4-5 times larger than the clowns.

DMK
01/18/2006, 05:14 PM
only way they can be bought as pair is wild caught bigger ones, which are nice, but i don't want wild caught. no way to really tell what's female or male in a tank full of small maroons.
- will it work if i just pick biggest maroon in tank and smallest? i guess this goes for all clowns, not just maroons, right?

prodman
01/18/2006, 05:37 PM
You can try to get the biggest and smallest. But the greater the difference in size the better. Do you have wilkersons Clownfishes book? It decribes how to pair different kinds of clowns quite well.