PDA

View Full Version : flow rate and softies

mildew
01/18/2006, 01:46 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/MBurnham/DSCN2218.jpg

That's the tank; here's the question. How much flow is needed for softies? Flow in this tank is provided by a gutted Rena XP3 canister, a gutted Emperor 400, and the returns on two skimmers; Seaclone 150 and AquaC Remora. There are no additional powerheads. I'm using the spray bar return on the Rena and it is high on the left end and provides a strong left to right flow. The Emperor is at the right end of the back and has surface flow from back to front. The skimmers, both with Maxijet 1200 are on the left back and give a mostly top to bottom flow. The intakes on the 2 gutted filter are back, bottom right. The corals are mostly zoanthids, mushrooms, ricordia, anthelia, pulsing xenia. The anthelia on the right end of the tanks waves like palm fronds in a category 1 hurricane. The green star polyp looks like a green shag rug in a wind tunnel. I keep reading about high flow rates. Are they only for the LPS and SPS or do I need to increase my flow rate? The tank is 65g. TIA

Lpsfanatic338
01/18/2006, 02:23 PM
Sounds fine, the only corals that need really high flow rates are sps.

Andrew
01/18/2006, 02:32 PM
Softies need medium flow. I would have more then just the pumps on your skimmer and ect. Those don't really count as flow except on flow on top of your tank.

cw150
01/18/2006, 02:36 PM
Certain softies seem to prefer more flow, like certain long polyped sarcophytons or zoos. If you don't really have any then don't worry about it unless the coral doesn't look right.