PDA

View Full Version : is this a good sump/refugium setup?

bankspower
01/18/2006, 03:18 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/150-Gallon-Aquarium-sump-refugium-wet-dry-w-skimmer_W0QQitemZ7738321487QQcategoryZ46310QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I want to put a sump on my 55 gallon aquarium and get rid of my bak-pak and Emperor 400. I am not very creative, nor do I have any experience on how to build my own refugium, but I found this setup that claims to be everything I need. Does this look like a good deal, or should I just consult you guys and build my own? The physical building process doesn't bother me, it's the measurements, filtration, baffle placement, skimmer placement, etc. I don't have a clue on. Thanks again for your help, I don't know what I'd do without this site and the wealth of information available here.

Shawn

Andrew
01/18/2006, 03:26 PM
Looks good to me. :) $250 sounds kinda good considering that skimmer sells for over $150 itself.

bankspower
01/18/2006, 03:33 PM
Just out of curiosity, pretty decent skimmer or no? I didn't see what brand it was. If I were to set this thing up what would take care of mechanical filtration? Is there a place to run carbon, or isn't that needed? Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I figure this is the place to ask! T

Thanks

Shawn

Andrew
01/18/2006, 03:36 PM
Looks like a coralife super skimmer 220 to me. I have the 65 model and it works really good. btw, that means that skimmer in that set up will work on up to a 220 gallon tank.

bankspower
01/18/2006, 04:07 PM
I just called them back and asked more about the refugium. The total refugium volume is about 20 gallons with a flow rate of 800 GPH. The skimmer is a Catalina brand. You can take a look at it on http://www.catalinaaquarium.com When I asked about mechanical filtration he mentioned that it came with bioballs for the first chamber. I was under the impression that bioballs are not needed when live rock is used. In that case how can one mechanically filter the water?

Shawn

michaelm2431
01/18/2006, 06:17 PM
Dont use the bio balls. They can eventually cause a nitrate crash. The live rock in your tank or sump will filter the water. You can also add a bag of Chemi Pure carbon in the chamber where the bio balls go. Or buy carbon and sock for it seperate.