PDA

View Full Version : Help Can This Be Saved???

3S1K
01/18/2006, 11:09 PM
I was at my LFS and they had what looked to be a Favia,not sure but it always caught my eye.Anyways they were going out of business and it was practically the last thing in one of their display tanks so I asked how much?They said I could have it since it was almost dead,but becareful its going to die soon and polute your tank so be warned if I still wanted it.It seemed like it still had some fight in it so I took it and its in a bag in my tank.My first question is what is it?Second is there really no hope or can I still save this freebie?.

These are some really big pictures,so I posted a link to them to help out with the conclusion.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTE4Mjg2NTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTE4Mjg2NDZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

RicksReefs
01/19/2006, 12:17 AM
no clue on an ID, but if it has living polyps it can be saved, and that piece looks to still have plenty of polyps.

3S1K
01/19/2006, 12:39 AM
To me it looks like it has about 70%-75% of its polyps left.Its dead around the edge of the rock and the small area in the center.I just wanted to make sure it has a chance before it does damage to my tank.

RicksReefs
01/19/2006, 08:07 AM
most of my 'colony' pieces were rescues that bounced right back with good care and water quality. keep your phosphate and nitrate levels low to help prevent algae from colonizing the dead spots and to aid in new tissue calcification. as long as they end up in decent water and lighting, most corals will come back to life fairly quickly.

musty baby
01/19/2006, 09:03 AM
If you ask me, the best way to buy is receding/nearly dead colonies. Even if a place isn't going out of business, they're usually more than happy to get rid of it at a very, very reduced price and I haven't had one die yet. Maybe chalk it up to a hobbiest being able to put more time and money (by way of better lighting and water quality) than a store that has to answer to a bottom line.

bjolly
01/19/2006, 11:20 AM
I had a piece similar to that, which I was not able to save (but this was probably due to some problems going on with my tank at the time). It did die, but it didn't do any harm to my tank in the process, so I'd say go for it.

SPSFiend
01/21/2006, 10:50 AM
I have rescued pieces in similar condition. The polyps that are still there should bounce back.

jjmcat
01/21/2006, 12:32 PM
it looks like favia.I would use a dremal to cut off the dead parts.I had a large one and didnt do this so it died.

3S1K
01/24/2006, 11:47 AM
Here is a picture from yesterday.This will be day 5 for these and its still slowly dying but I have seen a few polyps surrounded by just skeleton holding on.

Its a large file.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTE4ODE0NTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

wrkinreef
01/24/2006, 07:29 PM
Try to get it to feed shade it abit and good flow to keep stuff off of it

3S1K
01/24/2006, 11:00 PM
I don't have any phytoplankton and can't get any locally.I was gonna order some DT's but it has to be next day aired and cost a bundle.Is it possible to blend up raw seafood and feed it like that?I can't get any of my LPS to stick out there sweepers at night.

wrkinreef
01/25/2006, 08:21 AM
I ues cut shrimp turn pumps off place it on it might take awhile for it to feed.If you have fish place a bowl or something over it so the fish dont eat it first.

mummra100769
01/25/2006, 08:52 AM
good for you man...that will be a jewel some day.