PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about converting spa into a grow out tank

saltyDDS
01/19/2006, 12:59 PM
I have a 4 person spa that we're thinking of converting it to a large sump and/ or grow out tank. It's in a fully enclosed structure so environmental temperature control is not an issue. I also opened the spa's wood paneling and it's fairly insulated. It has been dry and unused for a couple of years but the spa should be in proper working condition.

What do you think? Do you think I can use the spa's pump and heaters to run such a system?

saltyDDS
01/19/2006, 01:01 PM
I tried giving this spa away but it's a dime a dozen here in our area. I either use it or throw it away.

CH
01/19/2006, 01:16 PM
I can't really answer the question, but it sounds like a pretty cool idea! Definately would have some flow!
If you really want to give it away, you could send it to me in Nebraska! LOL

inlandreef
01/19/2006, 01:18 PM
Sounds like a great idea.

Pandora
01/19/2006, 01:21 PM
Wow, now that's devotion :) Sounds like a good idea, but I don't think I would use the jets as circulation unless you can turn on just one or two and they aren't close to the corals, those things are strong! Probably too much for most corals to handle.

kbmdale
01/19/2006, 01:23 PM
Would make a great rock curing bin with all the jets on.

npaden
01/19/2006, 01:25 PM
You might check the pumps and all the plumbing. Some spa pumps have copper in them that would be bad news for any invertebrates.

kbmdale
01/19/2006, 01:29 PM
What kinda pumps are we talking hear... You might want to steal the pumps and some of the plumbing and get a rubbermaid 300g feed trough.

saltyDDS
01/19/2006, 06:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6538325#post6538325 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CH
Definately would have some flow!
If you really want to give it away, you could send it to me in Nebraska! LOL

Maybe too much flow. The pump is pretty strong so I might divert some of the flow into the skimmer. You can have it but no delivery.

saltyDDS
01/19/2006, 06:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6538342#post6538342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by inlandreef
Sounds like a great idea.

I thought so. Ready to go system with pre-built closed loop. All the jets are positioned perfectly. I might even leave myself some room to dunk the head in for underwater observation. I just have to dig up my scuba gear.

saltyDDS
01/19/2006, 06:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6538364#post6538364 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pandora
I don't think I would use the jets as circulation unless you can turn on just one or two and they aren't close to the corals, those things are strong! Probably too much for most corals to handle.

The jets are the reason I want to use it. I agree that they're too strong but a tee fitting and a gate valve will take care of that. Excess flow will be diverted to a skimmer or something.

kbmdale
01/19/2006, 06:29 PM
So would this be a Jacugium or a Refuzi....lol

Lordhelmet
01/19/2006, 06:29 PM
My thought is also on the metals that could be in the tank. I would test for copper just to make sure. And wouldn't all of those spa chemicals still have some residue on the sides and plumming of the spa.
other then that it would be totally cool. leave a seat open and get it with them for a saltwater spa treatment.

just don't pee in there.

saltyDDS
01/19/2006, 06:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6538388#post6538388 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by npaden
Some spa pumps have copper in them that would be bad news for any invertebrates.

Good point. I'll take out all the paneling and look under the hood a bit more. Can't find any visible markings on the pump. I'll look for the manual for more info.

saltyDDS
01/19/2006, 06:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6540521#post6540521 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lordhelmet
And wouldn't all of those spa chemicals still have some residue on the sides and plumming of the spa.
other then that it would be totally cool. leave a seat open and get it with them for a saltwater spa treatment.

just don't pee in there.

No harmfull spa chems used. Actually spa maintenance is very similar to reefs. You have to keep ph, alk and Ca in check. Practically same supplements to maintain proper water chemistry. My spa even has a skimmer and RO systems. Lesser skimming capability but still a skimmer.

saltyDDS
01/19/2006, 06:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6540518#post6540518 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kbmdale
So would this be a Jacugium or a Refuzi....lol

I might just call it that if this project moves forward. Still hesitating a bit. I might have to tear the spa apart to see what's under it. Then again, I might not be able to put it back together so there goes the entire idea down the drain.

BTW, sorry about running up my post count. I have no idea how to do multiple quotes on one post. Just wanted to acknowledge the responses.

carpetride
01/19/2006, 06:43 PM
Be sure to put some ball valves on both sides of the pump in case you need to service it, elsewise you will drain down to the intake.

brettandlyndi
01/19/2006, 06:59 PM
I love this idea! I've been wanting to convert my parents spa into a refugium or sump. Keep us updated on how it goes, I'd love to see pics of the process if you decide to go with it.

NorthernCF
01/19/2006, 08:00 PM
I have a spa that gets little use. So, I have pondered the same thing.
I don't think I would use any of the existing plumbing. The seals are all metal and it would be a PITA to clean. I was thinking more on the lines of using it to cure rock than actually keep anything in. Anyhow, I would silicone up all the holes if I were to do it.

saltyDDS
01/20/2006, 12:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6541215#post6541215 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NorthernCF
I don't think I would use any of the existing plumbing. The seals are all metal and it would be a PITA to clean.

I opened the panels yesterday and did a cursory inspection. I didn't notice any metal part in the plumbing except for some hose clamps.

Anyhow, I would silicone up all the holes if I were to do it.

Well that's my attraction to using the spa. Instant closed loop. I won't use it if the jets cannot be incorporated in the scheme of things.