PDA

View Full Version : 90 gallon corner flow rate?

sugarbaker
01/19/2006, 04:01 PM
Hello all, I'm a relatively new addition to the world of saltwater aquariums, and have actually just started cycling my 20L nano tank set up, but my question is in regards to a tank I will have in a few weeks.

I'm wondering what the appropriate size return pump for a 90 gallon corner tank would be, keeping in mind that I will want enough water flow to keep a good variety of corals and inverts without adding a closed loop (the tank is already drilled for an overflow and return). I will use loc line plumbing to split the single return into two outputs that I can direct as needed. Thanks for any input.

Stephen

Rendos
01/19/2006, 04:18 PM
Depends what size hole the drain is. If you have a 1" drain, you will probably not get much more than 500 GPH through it.
If you have a 1.5" drain, you can get 1200 GPH through it.

A good variety of corals?? Some corals want more light and current than others. You can divide a tank into zones of both...high light/high current, low light/low current, or a mix of the two.

Fast Fred
01/20/2006, 12:15 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/61382welcome.gif

Therbligs
01/20/2006, 08:45 AM
You should run about 450gph at the return to the tank. The RR version I think has a 1" return. Most of your flow should be produced in the tank.

IME lighting for a reef corner tank is very challenging.