PDA

View Full Version : Emergency! Help!

Hurgoth
01/19/2006, 10:07 PM
I just got finished doing a water change and acclimating a new fish. When I had the bag floating to get the temperatures to match, I smelt burning plastic and saw some smoke around the MH. I thought that maybe the bag somehow got too close and was smoking or something.... so I opened the canopy completely and walked away a few minutes after not noticing anything else. I came back and noticed more smoke. It was coming from the last one of my RIO pump (man, these things suck... I have gone through 6 of them in the last year and recently switched). It had frozen while in the water and was smokin like crazy. I turned off the power to my pumps and pulled it out.

I noticed some black residue floating on the surface of the water and I am pretty sure it came from the pump. Is my entire tank in danger of being polluted. I just did a 40% water change, and have no way of getting any water until tomorrow morning if I need to.

Has anyone else had this experience? Am I ok? If I need to start salvaging my best pieces and fishes, what is the best way of doing so at this time?

Thanks!

kbmdale
01/19/2006, 10:10 PM
If it is oily film skim it off the top of the water with a cup and do a 20-30% water change.

At marine depot you can get a seio 860 for 45 bucks ;)

kbmdale
01/19/2006, 10:11 PM
Oh and be sure to run some carbon.

reefdadx2
01/19/2006, 10:20 PM
Good luck just read about this type of thing happening with a RIO pump last night. Someone said won't happen with the new pumps. let me know if yours is new because I am ready to throw mine out if it is. don't want this to happen to me. Where did you get it? I got mine about 6 months ago from that fish place, and if they know about this I will be upset for them selling it to me. People need to stop carrying them if they are a problem. obviously get out all of the oily water and add carbon and water change as soon as you can. Please start a thread about Rio pumps and your problem to warn others in the future. Again good luck. Michael R

Subrafta
01/20/2006, 01:00 AM
If there's still scum on the top of the water drag a paper towel (or several) over it. That'll at least get the surface goo out of the tank.

Lucky Dragon
01/21/2006, 12:50 AM
My Rio took out my entire tank...fish...coral....EVERYTHING!

RIO's SUCK!!!

ichthyophile
01/21/2006, 01:53 AM
i hate rios too... but at least parts are easy to come by... seems everybody has a pile of burned/melted rios to pick thru!