PDA

View Full Version : Pc lighting and glass canopy

cougaran
01/19/2006, 10:38 PM
I'm wondering if my light output of my Pc lighting(220w) would be increased with going from a glass canopy to a DIY canopy. And if so how much more intense? How high above the surface does the lights go? Or do you leave it the same(resting on the tank top) just w/o the glass canopy, but secure it so it doenst accidentally fall into the tank. I'm also thinking of salt creep and how much of a pain is it going to be with the light.

wetWolger
01/19/2006, 10:41 PM
well...yes the glass does decrease your intensity a little bit. But if you were to remove it you would have to raise the lights (i assume) to prevent salt spray frmo the surface of the water from getting on your light. I think rasing the light will decrease the intensity by increasing the spread of the lights more than you would get by removing the glass. So I guess my vote is it would do more harm than good if you have to raise the lights.

johnydart
01/19/2006, 10:52 PM
wow, lots there. Okay, hood. 1) do you have a reflector with the bulbs now? If so you can build a hood that will house the bulbs about 10 or so inches above the water (there will still be creep/spray but it will be reduced while light reduction will be almost nil [if your reflectors are good they'll push the light down.... a few inches eleveation will effect the light very little]). This method eliminates the need for glass (which screws with O2 exchange) and is prefered. I built a hood for pc's out of 12X1" pine (with offsets for the reflector to allow for cooling it gave me a 10" lift from the water) where the lid included the front panel of the hood so I had an uninterrupted access to the front of the tank for cleaning ( a 1X1" strip connected the side panels at the front so the front panel could lift when the hood lifted). I used spring loaded cabinet hinges to both hing and hold the hood. I can submit photos (the hood, and the tank it once served have been retired). Pc's will sufer from creep rot (rust) but not before the useful life has ended (18 mos). I like bulbs from hellolights.com as they have a one-piece pin assembly (not like the two-piece from coral-life etc) and they seem bulletproof as a result. It might be hard to use a ready-to-go kit in a hood, but it can be done. do a quick google on retro-fit PC's and you'll find a ton. Have you looked at t-5? If you're going to the trouble then that might be your best route.

cougaran
01/19/2006, 11:02 PM
No reflectors but i did think about it. .http://www.hellolights.com/ref48in.html for $40 may be a good investment, but i'd have to tear the whole light apart .I have only $80 invested and wanted to do this on the cheap. The canopy sounds funnily similiar to what I had in mind and made plans on paper for. The only thing i have been rethinking is the height- i orig thought 8" but soon realized a taller piece would give me more options for later down the road..

cougaran
01/19/2006, 11:46 PM
I thought i wasn't going crazy here.. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=PF7131 is a single reflector for each bulb also, but would you be able to use that with minimum change inside a light like the jebo?