PDA

View Full Version : how long before your RBTA/GBTA/BTA settled???

DMK
01/19/2006, 11:13 PM
my new RBTA has been in tank over 24hrs. it stayed where i placed it last night entire night. when i last checked today at lunchtime, it was still there, retracted into crack in LR. since then it moved 1/2 way across tank and has been in same low light, LOW flow area in tank behind a huge monti coral, almost not visible unless u look for it. i can't believe it's in this spot for past 8-9 hrs. it's definately the most low flow area of tank. it came from a tank w/ low flow and low light though so maybe that's why. will this thing move to a higher light/flow area. it's in the area i would least expect it to be in. it looks very good, eats when i feed it. just wondering how long it took for your BTA to settle in good spot for your tank. i want to be able to see it when u look at tank and where he is now. it just sucks!:mad2:

SoonerFan732
01/20/2006, 06:57 AM
I started with one six months ago and it has now split into 6 RBTAs. It has been my experience that they go where they want no matter how many times you move them (and they surely haven't stayed where I thought they looked best!). Mine have all found caves where they keep their base and extend out when the lights are on. When they aren't fully extended they are hard to see from the front of the tank. Some also like to stay at the base of the rock piles.

Once it finds a spot it will likely stay for awhile. I have a rock pile separate from the rest of the reef that is for the anemones. While they do move from time to time they don't seem to leave the rock pile which is good because they killed a few corals before I did this.

robszar
01/20/2006, 09:20 AM
hey SoonerFan732, post a pic

MadTownMax
01/20/2006, 09:23 AM
My GBTA stayed right where I put it - top of a rock, highest flow, under a 400W halide.

Genin
01/20/2006, 03:02 PM
mine stayed right where i placed it and hasn't moved yet.

SDguy
01/20/2006, 04:39 PM
Mine just moved closer to the light (I started it out at the bottom since I have 250W DE MH and at the LFS it was under very weak light). Took about a week to stay put.

MadTownMax
01/20/2006, 07:16 PM
just wanted to add that I've only had the anemone for about a month - so I guess my result is not very useful :( sorry.

pretty much all the posts I've read from people with BTA's long term say that they move around from time to time - so in any case, don't be worried, just make sure that you have good tank parameters, good light and good flow- and it will find a place it likes sooner or later.

want2reef
01/20/2006, 09:35 PM
My RBTA moved around for about a day. now he has stayed put for about 4 months.

SoonerFan732
01/20/2006, 09:39 PM
Robszar, I will see what I can do for a picture. They have all found spots that make them very hard to see from the front of the tank. Right now I can only see a couple of them and that's only a very small piece. Hopefully in the next couple days I can get a good shot.

SoonerFan732
01/22/2006, 12:34 PM
Robszar I posted some pictures here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=757412

I don't want to detour this thread.