PDA

View Full Version : why does everyone have a yellow tang?

know-it-all
01/20/2006, 09:12 AM
Just seems like every tank I see has at east 1 yellow tang in it.
with all the other choices out there, why the yellow's?

just curious
KIA

rayjay
01/20/2006, 09:27 AM
I have a powder blue and a brown, a scopus, an achilles, a regal, and a naso, but not a yellow.

javajaws
01/20/2006, 09:29 AM
No yellow tangs here...no tangs at all for that matter. I'd guess its because when someone has an algae outbreak that say to themselves "I gotta get a Tang fast!". So they go down to their LFS and see all those yellow tangs (being the most commonly available variety) and buy one. Just one of many reasons I'm sure...

pnsnowboard
01/20/2006, 09:32 AM
everyone likes them my mom really wants me to put one in my tank but i dont think its happening there is so much better fish out there

gillies
01/20/2006, 09:32 AM
They are cheap and lots of hobbiests have kids and wives that just can't resist that lemon yellow color.

jgoodrich71
01/20/2006, 09:33 AM
I do not, nor have I ever owned a yellow tang. The reason, because everyone else has one!

llamart
01/20/2006, 09:34 AM
They are one of the most common fish in the industry. How many bright yellow fish are there (save that question for a different thread). The color looks great in the tank and people can keep them with realitive ease.

I dont have one though, just on the basis that I see them too much. My with keeps pushing me to get one but I just give the excuse that we have 2 tangs (Sailfin and Hippo) and shoudnt have any others :P

Weatherman
01/20/2006, 09:34 AM
No Yellow Tangs here, either.

My 180 has a Powder Blue.

For my 120, I went with Rabbitfish instead. Much better algae eaters than tangs and don't require nearly as much swimming room.

Wiskey
01/20/2006, 09:37 AM
I got my yellow tang from a friends toilet, but had that not happended I probably would not have one. I love this fish, it is very curious, very personabile and seems intelegent for a fish. It causes no problems with other fish, and is always picking at rock looking for algae.

My all time favrite tang however is a Red Sea Sailfin tang, but I don't have a big enough tank.

Whiskey

Reefer Wannabe
01/20/2006, 09:38 AM
I think because they are one of the hardiest and least expensive of the tangs.

Plus, they definitely are eye-catching. My yellow is not my favorite fish, but everyone who comes in our house comments on the bright yellow fish!

coralnut99
01/20/2006, 09:55 AM
All of the above: bright color, cheap, always available, reasonably hardy, and afetr acclimation become something of a "pet dog" in a tank.

Though the colors may not be as bright, I'm bigger on hawaiian sailfins. These guys acclimate much faster in my experience, great eaters, and work really hard at keeping nuisance algaes in check. My oldest one is something of a pest, since every time I need to take a good look at something in the tank, he's just right there in my face. I have to get my son to distract him with some food at the other end of the tank.

MattToTheMax
01/20/2006, 10:04 AM
i would imagine its the same reason everyone has a clownfish.

plus they are one of the smaller sized tangs.

jay24k
01/20/2006, 10:24 AM
I don't think there is another fish as bright and it's hard imo to find a nice yellow of anything out there. I also have a red sea sailfin, achilles, hippo, and naso so I have a nice variety and they all get along fine.

know-it-all
01/20/2006, 10:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6544599#post6544599 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MattToTheMax
i would imagine its the same reason everyone has a clownfish.

I don't have one of those either.
I am guilty of the blue damsels, but those are just filler in my damsel tank.

I've seen tanks where the owner has spent big bucks on getting the coral that
no one else has, but will throw the most common of fish into it.
It just baffles me.

JER-Z
01/20/2006, 10:28 AM
maybe because of the price, color, and the fact that they don't need an enormous tank to thrive like the majority of other tangs?

Anemonebuff
01/20/2006, 10:30 AM
When mine passes on I will replace it with a rabbitfish.

viggen
01/20/2006, 10:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6544400#post6544400 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jgoodrich71
I do not, nor have I ever owned a yellow tang. The reason, because everyone else has one!

but you probably drive a honda just like everyone :) LOL

Seriously.... they are cheap, hardy & good looking

I do not have one now but I do plan on adding a few

Loralie
01/20/2006, 10:42 AM
I have a yellow because it was given to me. I do have a blonde Naso, purple and a scopas

jgoodrich71
01/20/2006, 10:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6544850#post6544850 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by viggen
but you probably drive a honda just like everyone :) LOL

Seriously.... they are cheap, hardy & good looking

I do not have one now but I do plan on adding a few

No, I have a Ford F-150. The best selling truck in....
aw...why'd you have to ruin it for me.

TimBob
01/20/2006, 11:08 AM
No Yellow Tang in my tank. I decided on day 1 that I didn't want a yellow tang because they are so common and my pair of ocellaris fill the "common" role. I do have a Foxface for my "yellow-fix" and a purple tang for my tang-fix. I may have to get rid of one of them though, they just can't seem to get along lately.

deansreef
01/20/2006, 11:11 AM
no yellow for me either

jacmyoung
01/20/2006, 11:16 AM
If you like to tell your guests you have a saltwater tank without actually telling them...It is the most eye-catching of saltwater fish average persons can relate to a reef habitat.

I guess the question should be why does everyone keep tangs.

npaden
01/20/2006, 11:29 AM
I'm one of the guys that got my yellow tang "used". I've had it for a little over 6 years now. In my tank with a Clown Tang, Powder Blue, Sohal and Hippo, the Yellow is noticed and commented on by visitors more than any of the other tangs.

The only other fish that get more comments are my trio of ocellaris clownfish and my royal gramma.

I'm not into keeping something just because they are rare or uncommon. Most of the people who see my tank aren't going to think less of the fish in it if they are common.

FWIW, Nathan

Weatherman
01/20/2006, 11:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6545097#post6545097 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jacmyoung
I guess the question should be why does everyone keep tangs.

1) Algae eater (although rabbitfish are a better choice if this is all you want)

2) Active and attractive

PuffersKick
01/20/2006, 11:35 AM
why not get one?

they are one of the brightest colored fish available, extremely hardy, non expensive, & a great reef fish.

dattong
01/20/2006, 11:47 AM
yellow tang is nice and cheap compared to other tangs that's y i bought it. i personally like all tangs, I got a yellow, powder blue and a salfin. They're soooo beautiful.

Mrs.kbmdale
01/20/2006, 12:02 PM
No yellow tang here, and I dont want one. My husband asked about it in the beginning and I told him NO for one simple reason....... I think they are UGLY. No offense to all of you tang lovers, but I just don't think they are even remotely eye catching.

Brianna:rollface:

Kent E
01/20/2006, 12:07 PM
I got rid of mine years ago for something "different". I replaced it with a Red sea Sailfin and I realized after some time that the novelty wore off and the tank was drab. So I sold that and have 2 yellows and may get even more.

They are great fish, being different for difference sake is foolish.

NeilPearson
01/20/2006, 12:10 PM
I have one because when I set up my tank I knew someone that was tearing down a 120 gallon tank... and if I wanted the live rock, I had to take all the fish and everything else with it.

PatrickJ
01/20/2006, 12:13 PM
I got one originally to eat algae.

saltyDDS
01/20/2006, 12:20 PM
I had a yellow tang with reasons (colorful, hardy, et) already covered in previous posts. I won't bother mentioning them again.

The reason why most reefers either had or have one is because you can find yellow tangs anywhere. Can you name a LFS that never carries yellow tangs? However, we can easily name shops that never carries reef safe wrasses.

It is a right of passage for most reefers. Most of us started our reefs from local shops. They gave us bad advice which we took as word from up above. Sold us out dated, over priced and unnecessary equipment. Of course the next step for them is to sell us fish that is already in their stock tanks.

JMO btw.

LukFox
01/20/2006, 12:22 PM
No yellow tang here. Not because they're common (and personally I dont really get the point - it's YOUR tank! If you like them, get one, regardless of how many others have them!) I just dont think they're very attractive looking.. Kinda boring looking really. I find my foxface to be a much more interesting fish than any yellow tang, or really, any tang for that matter. I almost regret getting a purple tang as it seems she's got a grand total of 0 personality... My other fish are much more interesting than that tang, but that tang apparently takes up the most space..

JohnHenry
01/20/2006, 12:35 PM
A-a-hem...

The Country Club at which I belong has a polo league comprised of Renoir enthusiasts who've generally concluded that, due to their recent popularity amongst non-Club-Members, Yellow Tangs are decidedly passe.

Wiskey
01/20/2006, 12:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6545655#post6545655 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JohnHenry
A-a-hem...

The Country Club at which I belong has a polo league comprised of Renoir enthusiasts who've, generally concluded that as of early 2006 Yellow Tangs are decidedly passe.

:lol: :rolleye1: :lol:

Joboo
01/20/2006, 12:55 PM
Just Because;)

ACBlinky
01/20/2006, 01:03 PM
I don't have a YT, but did have a craving for a bright yellow fish in my FOWLR. I bought a flagfin angel, IMHO much more attractive than a YT, but not reef safe.
I can understand the appeal YTs have - bright, friendly, algae-eating and reef safe.

jay24k
01/20/2006, 01:04 PM
Well to all their own. I think foxface fish are the ugliest fish ever. Especially when they are bigger. But each has their own opinion. I'd rather have a purple in place of the yellow but it's hard to find a nice yellow fish and my wife loves it.

jacmyoung
01/20/2006, 01:23 PM
I started my last reef tank with a foxface and liked it initially. The personality was cool but it appeared getting uglier over time. Somehow its shape and color mix did not belong in a reef tank, or even a saltwater tank.

I decided to have YTs this time around, other than the fact they fight all the time, I haven't regreted the change.

I personally believe my tank is for the enjoyment of all my family and guests so what draws their attention more should be high on the list. I myself like to study pods in the sump but will never use my sump as a display hoping to get people excited about the bugs.

Pandora
01/20/2006, 01:26 PM
I really liked the bright yellow color myself, but didn't want to get one because I have a 75. And no lemonpeel, already have an angel. I ended up getting a yellow candy hogfish, which I'd highly recommend! They are a very different shape, and not a solid yellow, but they are bright and have touches of pink, and the best personalities... peaceful and undemanding, swim out in the open.

I like to study pods too... hunch over the fuge late at night like a mad scientist... what a bunch of nerds we are. :D

know-it-all
01/20/2006, 01:38 PM
wow, go away for a few hours and .....

I love how the polo club considers them passe.

I agree that the yellow is pretty cool, but still
come on, do we all need to have a YT.

aren't there other yellow's to add?

Ereefic
01/20/2006, 01:43 PM
Personal Choice. :)

Why does everyone here have a SW tank?

Weatherman
01/20/2006, 01:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6545995#post6545995 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jacmyoung
I started my last reef tank with a foxface and liked it initially. The personality was cool but it appeared getting uglier over time. Somehow its shape and color mix did not belong in a reef tank, or even a saltwater tank.

I agree with you 100% on the Foxface. Very ugly fish.

The other rabbitfish are a bit better, but the ones like Doliatus and Virgatus are still kind of freaky looking with the blue shades in their eyes.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/PufferReef/Reef/virgatus.jpg

In spite of the freaky look, they are great algae eaters.

Alaskan Reefer
01/20/2006, 01:48 PM
Yellow tangs are easy to keep, widely available (and relatively cheap), striking in color, and very active fish. To each their own, but to me that is a pretty good combination of features. Plus, it's cool to watch them slurp chaetomorpha like spaghetti. I don't have one personally (powder blue is where I've started the new tank), but I will probably add one eventually.

Agree that being different for difference's sake is a fool's paradise -- I certainly wouldn't choose a Seaclone skimmer over a Deltec just because everyone is buying Deltecs now. :)

Alaskan Reefer
01/20/2006, 01:51 PM
I also agree that watching pods with a flashlight is an outstanding way to spend an evening -- I need help.

kbmdale
01/20/2006, 02:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6546165#post6546165 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ereefic
Personal Choice. :)

Why does everyone here have a SW tank?

Beacuse its cheaper than building a house with a glass floor on a reef. ;)

fittdog8848
01/20/2006, 02:21 PM
weatherman? Does your rabbit fish pick on or eat any corals in the tank? I have read on this site alot about rabbit fish, I am just concerned that they will start eating my corals.

brettandlyndi
01/20/2006, 02:31 PM
I have a Yellow Tang, and it is the favorite in my tank. They are really one of the most recognized saltwater fish in this hobby, for many many years now, and very hardy, IME. Really bright coloration also makes this one a favorite.

gkarshens
01/20/2006, 02:44 PM
I had one but got rid of it because it was abusing any new fish that went into the tank. Now I have a Powder Blue and an Orange shoulder in QT waiting to go in. I like the look of YTs but I was tired of the aggression.

masson
01/20/2006, 02:47 PM
Because I got it for 12$ and It doesn't need a 500 gallon tank.

fittdog8848
01/20/2006, 02:48 PM
gkarshens------I used to have a powder blue and it was a little Pri*&. But than again so are the yellows.

Weatherman
01/20/2006, 02:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6546437#post6546437 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fittdog8848
weatherman? Does your rabbit fish pick on or eat any corals in the tank? I have read on this site alot about rabbit fish, I am just concerned that they will start eating my corals.

Not so far.

It is, however, just tearing through the dictyota and rhodophytes (the red algae on the rocks in the background of the picture) like crazy. I expect most of those algae to be nibbled down to stubs within the next couple of months. I feed it Spirulina Formula to make sure it gets enough vitamins, since the rhodophytes, especially, are not particularly nutritious.

There is always a risk that a tang or rabbitfish will eat soft coral. My Powder Blue likes to eat Xenia of all things.

know-it-all
01/20/2006, 02:54 PM
Well I can see this is a divided issue.
I just don't want to believe that they are that cool of a fish.

Ereefic
01/20/2006, 02:59 PM
Then don't believe it. ;)

zangler
01/20/2006, 03:01 PM
not getting something because its 'common' or 'too popular' is very immature. every other reason mentioned 'not that cool a fish, want something else, etc." are completely valid. i will probably end up getting one...now that i know they are not common any more...since everyone stopped getting them since they were common....:rolleye1:

know-it-all
01/20/2006, 03:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6546784#post6546784 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zangler
not getting something because its 'common' or 'too popular' is very immature.

if everyone was jumping off a bridge, would you? :rollface:

I understand the tangs in general
they are great to watch, and always out.
but there are more choices than the Hippo and Yellow.

jgoodrich71
01/20/2006, 03:57 PM
To be honest, yellow tangs are the fish that sparked my desire for a saltwater tank. But, I just find it really boring to have a yellow tang, a hippo tang, and a pair of oscellaris clown.

techigirl78
01/20/2006, 04:22 PM
No yellow tangs here. I have a canary fang blenny, midas blenny, and yellow clown goby. All bright yellow. There's also the yellow assessor and yellow "coris" wrasse. Just for those few posters mentioning what other small yellow, reef safe fish are available. Thought about getting a yellow tang, but I already have yellow in my tank.

know-it-all
01/20/2006, 04:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6547332#post6547332 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by techigirl78
No yellow tangs here. I have a canary fang blenny, midas blenny, and yellow clown goby. All bright yellow. There's also the yellow assessor and yellow "coris" wrasse. Just for those few posters mentioning what other small yellow, reef safe fish are available. Thought about getting a yellow tang, but I already have yellow in my tank.

Hey techigirl, you need to get yourself to a WRS meeting.
next one is Feb 11th, (east side)

but yes, there are many choices for yellow beside the yellow tang.

glaudds
01/20/2006, 04:36 PM
Bah!!! Tang snobs!!:D

techigirl78
01/20/2006, 04:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6547367#post6547367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by know-it-all
Hey techigirl, you need to get yourself to a WRS meeting.
next one is Feb 11th, (east side)

but yes, there are many choices for yellow beside the yellow tang.

Hope to soon. Talked to Steve about it awhile ago, but then things came up.

jacmyoung
01/20/2006, 05:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6547332#post6547332 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by techigirl78

I agree yellow coris wrasse is very nice yellow and has personality of his own, but mine only shows up a few hours of the day then he hides in the sand somewhere, the rest of the time I still need some bright yellow in the tank for visual.

techigirl78
01/20/2006, 05:31 PM
Both my blennies are out from lights on to lights off swimming in the open water [ in seperate tanks ]. That's why I didn't get a yellow tang, even though I really do like them.

geekreef_05
01/20/2006, 06:05 PM
Funny question this thread asks. U could ask why people commonly have clownfish as well. Or why do freshwater people keep buying tetra's and goldfish. The basic reasons have been covered by other posts. But the responses should prove that 'everyone' does not have a yellow tang and that 'everyone' does not want a yellow tang.

There are many fish in the sea, (excuse the phrasing) so choose wisely who you put into your slice of the ocean.

happy reefin'

P.S. I have a yellow, but only because my parents/sister insisted the tank wouldnt be complete without him.

Oh and to the guy who's country club decided that yellow tangs are passe: Its so disapointingly typical to find people of that stature/ wealth acting like that. Im 24 years old, just finishing university. I work my butt off for my car, aquarium and every single thing that I own. To have some well-off dude critique the rest of the reefin community like that makes me wanna throw up all over his shoes. Id feel ashamed and disgusted at myself for being friends with a person like that. Dude, Im not trying to flame you or group you into that particular catagorey of people, but there are so many injustices in this world, that looking down on reefers cause they have a particular fish, is just a new low.

Matt Rise
01/20/2006, 06:24 PM
I've had a bunch of tangs, I would say my favorite was the juvenile Chevron, (Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis) although there's nothing quite like a school of Yellow or Purple's! :)

TJ
01/20/2006, 06:24 PM
I have 2 big, fat, obnoxious yellow tangs and I love them both- also w/a purple tang. They were purchased together and put in tank together. I recently added a Naso- he's cool and they're all doing fine, luckily. There's just nothing like the yellow- and yes, it's the main fish that company always wants to comment on and watch.

Sparkysreef
01/20/2006, 06:29 PM
because they are yellow

zemuron114
01/20/2006, 06:32 PM
would you rather a black tang?? i personally think they are ugly.. just a black yellow tang.. but they are rare so everyone wants one... lol

no one says "what a beautiful fish" to a black tang, they say "what a rare fish" IF they even know the hobby at all..
I've seen many black tangs come and go here in Hawaii, and a school of yellows BLOWS away black tangs.. JMO :)

andyjd
01/20/2006, 06:32 PM
I dont have one, and I dont want one !

reg828
01/20/2006, 06:40 PM
I have a sailfin tang but no yellow tang. however, i will remove my sailfin tang. its nice to have tang if you have bigger tank maybe two every 125 gallon. someone would say why? well, i realized that later tang needs space for territory. once, they stablished their territory, they will become territorial continue harrassing other fish that goes by their territory. I thought about putting two tang in my 75 but not a good idea. because of territoriality. and, also tangs are ich magnets, a little stress causes ich outbreak. giving you a lots of problems to do. anyway, you can still get fish that have yellow. i suggest, foxface. because i believed they are not ich magnets and territorial.

techigirl78
01/20/2006, 06:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6548141#post6548141 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zemuron114
would you rather a black tang?? i personally think they are ugly.. just a black yellow tang.. but they are rare so everyone wants one... lol

no one says "what a beautiful fish" to a black tang, they say "what a rare fish" IF they even know the hobby at all..
I've seen many black tangs come and go here in Hawaii, and a school of yellows BLOWS away black tangs.. JMO :)

That was the first fish that I fell in love with when I started the hobby. They had one at the LFS in their display, but wouldn't sell it. I didn't know it was that expensive until I started going to online sites.

Old Yeller Tang
01/20/2006, 07:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6548141#post6548141 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zemuron114

You beat me to the punch!lol Imagine the yellows being rare instead of the blacks! They'd probably go for 3x the going rate of a black tang. No matter how common the yellow tang is, it still is the first fish that catches your eye when you see a tank for the 1st time. It was the yellow tang that got me into this money pit hobby! Hence, my username.:D
I feel the same way about the Conspicillatus Angel. Though this fish has a great personality, you'd think the Emperor Angel would be the one that costs more.
I have the Doliatus and I'll be replacing him with a yellow or purple tang one of these days. This rabbitfish is too boring for me.

JohnHenry
01/20/2006, 08:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6547968#post6547968 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geekreef_05
Oh and to the guy who's country club decided that yellow tangs are passe: Its so disapointingly typical to find people of that stature/ wealth acting like that..... makes me wanna throw up all over his shoes.....

LOL, me too man, me too!

I've never been within ten miles of a polo club...or even a Renoir for that matter. ;)

I was just poking fun (not flaming or criticzing) the notion that a fish can be either trendy or passe.

For my real answer: I had a YT, at girflriend's request, for about six months but then gave it to a friend (when GF and I broke up).

They are pretty fish, but the one I had was turning into a bit of a tough guy.

reefD
01/20/2006, 08:58 PM
inexpensive ..more durable than other tanks. said to require least space out of most tangs ..still 75gal minimum....commonly found in trade.

NexDog
01/21/2006, 01:43 AM
I have one because it's a beautiful fish. Beautiful shape and beautiful colour. I like colourful fish so I'd rather have a YT than a Sailfin. I don't care what everyone else does - I'd rather have colour than something else just because it's not so common. I now have a coral beauty, flame angel, baby imperator, longnose hawk, copperband butterfly, sixline wrasse, powder blue - all stunning fish.

know-it-all
01/21/2006, 07:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6548936#post6548936 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JohnHenry
LOL, me too man, me too!

I've never been within ten miles of a polo club...or even a Renoir for that matter. ;)

I was just poking fun (not flaming or criticzing) the notion that a fish can be either trendy or passe.

For my real answer: I had a YT, at girflriend's request, for about six months but then gave it to a friend (when GF and I broke up).

They are pretty fish, but the one I had was turning into a bit of a tough guy.

I got the joke:rollface:

the main question is why do people have the notion that they are needed to
give a tank the final touches?

kng
01/21/2006, 08:02 AM
I have a yellow tang, and it was the best piece of algae maintenance equipment I added to the tank. No macro or micro algae at all in the display tank.

Plan on putting one is my 30 B prop tank, unless there is something better.

-Kyle

kng
01/21/2006, 12:34 PM
...any suggestions?

know-it-all
01/21/2006, 12:43 PM
blennies would be a good addition to a 30b prop tank

Old Yeller Tang
01/21/2006, 12:45 PM
A nice yellow midas blenny.

zangler
01/21/2006, 05:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6547146#post6547146 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by know-it-all
if everyone was jumping off a bridge, would you? :rollface:

thats not exactly a sequitor given the meaning of my statement...

the equivalency to mine would be...everyone owns a computer...so im not going to because of it...obviously im capable of understanding what is harmful to me and not...

zangler
01/21/2006, 05:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6547968#post6547968 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geekreef_05

Oh and to the guy who's country club decided that yellow tangs are passe: Its so disapointingly typical to find people of that stature/ wealth acting like that. Im 24 years old, just finishing university. I work my butt off for my car, aquarium and every single thing that I own. To have some well-off dude critique the rest of the reefin community like that makes me wanna throw up all over his shoes. Id feel ashamed and disgusted at myself for being friends with a person like that. Dude, Im not trying to flame you or group you into that particular catagorey of people, but there are so many injustices in this world, that looking down on reefers cause they have a particular fish, is just a new low.

i think he was joking...

romunov
01/22/2006, 02:38 AM
I don't have one. :D

Any one who has seen a tang in its environment will tell you how big of a tank you'll need to keep one happy.

kabboord
01/22/2006, 02:57 AM
Because they are hardy, because they eat algae, because they are cheap, and because the bright splash of yellow adds beauty to the tank.

catdoc
01/22/2006, 08:17 AM
I wanted a tang for the active swimming and color but worried that even my 125 wasn't going to provide enough space for a larger tang. Then I found a local hobbyist who was wanting to rehome her yellow tang and I got him in exchange for a coral beauty who was nipping at my clam/sps.

He's proven to be a very entertaining, busy fish. My YT has paired up with a mellow swallowtail angel and it's hilarious (at least to a fish nerd like me) to watch them. The angel is calmly (almost regally) swimming and the YT is like a hyperactive kid following his mom at the mall: jumping from here to there, then rushing to catch up with the angel, then getting distracted by "what's that?" and wandering off again, just to rush back to the angel when he falls behind again. They do this ALL day long! The YT won't let the angel out of his sight but is like an ADHD kid as far as his attention span goes.