PDA

View Full Version : BB and fish

glxtrix
01/20/2006, 04:36 PM
I have a mandarin and a brittle star, do you think they would get ****ed or even starve if I went to BB? IMA that the mandarin eats frozen, but all day long he's picking at rock and what not. I also have some nassarius snails. Good idea or no? This will be done on a 30 too.

elephen
01/20/2006, 04:39 PM
Well I am getting ready to setup a new 120 that'll be BB. I have a spotted mandarin that eats frozen brine and I've had him for 2 years so we'll see when I switch everything over.

All the rock in the new tank will be cooked and all the old rock will begin the cooking process.

Hopefully no casualties! =D

glxtrix
01/20/2006, 04:50 PM
any others have .02 to throw this way?

xtrstangx
01/20/2006, 05:22 PM
I don't think a Mandarin would mind as much as say a sand-sifting goby.

glxtrix
01/20/2006, 05:27 PM
yeah I was thinkin of gettin a rainfordi goby to help take care of my HA, but if I go BB, he'll prolly be upset. Anyone with a BB have a mandarin and or a bristle star and have had no issues???

jeffbrig
01/20/2006, 05:31 PM
As long as you have pods, your mandarin will be happy. I'm BB in my 250, and I have a ton of brittle stars, and a TON of pods in there (posted a video recently). The brittle stars either stay in the rocks and wave their arms in the current, or lay underneath the rocks. They don't seem concerned in the least that there is no sand. I will be adding a mandarin (or pair) in the future, but don't have any right now.

glxtrix
01/20/2006, 05:35 PM
ok, so how do you happily produce pods? A sump that has no light and rock? Cuz I have a fuge now and that has chaeto in it, but suposively chaeto shuoldnt be used in a BB, cuz it'll trap crap in it and blah blah blah. How are you producing your pods, seeing there is no sand anywhere. Thanks.

TMNZ
01/20/2006, 05:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6547742#post6547742 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by glxtrix
yeah I was thinkin of gettin a rainfordi goby to help take care of my HA, but if I go BB, he'll prolly be upset. Anyone with a BB have a mandarin and or a bristle star and have had no issues???

I have bb and a mandarin and he is fat as. No problems. Also a small brittle star it is fine to

glxtrix
01/20/2006, 05:44 PM
thats great to know, thanks. What are you BB people doing for sumps and whats in them?

G-money
01/21/2006, 01:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6547415#post6547415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by glxtrix
but all day long he's picking at rock and what not.

Exactly.
Back when I had sand even, the mandarin never stopped patrolling the rocks - that's where the majority of their food is.
Mine's going on 5 years...2 of them without sand.

glxtrix
01/21/2006, 12:46 PM
pods, how does one grow them with sand in a fuge? Just a sump with LR and no light?

Wiskey
01/21/2006, 01:01 PM
LR in your sump will collet alot of deatris, I would reccomend having nothing in the sump. Pods will grow in the cracks and crevisis of your LR.

HTH,
Whiskey

glxtrix
01/21/2006, 01:07 PM
alrighty, so technically the sump seeing as tho it has nothing in it, besides the heater and pretien skimmer, there doesnt need to be any baffles, correct? So I could in theory just use a regular tank and throw it inder the display. Or am I wrong? Thanks.