PDA

View Full Version : Magnifica Questions?

BLANKENSHIP76
01/20/2006, 07:38 PM
I bought a magnifica last week, and i got a big guy like 12-14 inches. I do have dual double ended MH 16K bulbs and 4x 55 PC Blues on the tank.

However, the anemone was placed about 1/3 the way down in the tank, and it moved up to the highest rock on yesterday and now it is all the way up my back overflow, some of it is almost out of the water.

I have 3 maxi-Jet 1200s hooked up to reef fanatic wavemaker, and my to dual returns going. My salinity is aroun 1.024, I have virtually no ammonia to detect, no nitrates, and I ran carbon last week to clean up the tank.

I am running a phosphate bag in my can filter just in case some is sneaking into the tank to make sure everything is good.

I have read that when the anemone is moving it is unhappy, mine is still all opened up and evrything it is just so far up on the tank it looks like a sunflower after it gets to heavy for its stalk.

I have fed it twice with brine soaked in selcon, when I fed it I just poured it over the anemone's body some was grabbed but not all.

I don't think it is dying or anything, I am just trying to get a little insight if there is anything I can do??

And before you say it yes i know they are the hardest to keep alive, and i was discouraged form getting one. But, I have it now, so help me keep it alive with some advice???

MarinaP
01/20/2006, 07:49 PM
Alternating strong current, pristine water conditions (no ammonia) , 2x400W preferably 10k, VHP+silversides+mysis at least 2xweek.

BLANKENSHIP76
01/20/2006, 07:51 PM
Will those 1200s with fantic wavemaker cut it for current, and aren't 250 DE MH like having single ended 400w MH?

MarinaP
01/20/2006, 08:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6548574#post6548574 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BLANKENSHIP76
Will those 1200s with fantic wavemaker cut it for current?

Yes, if it is directed right across the oral disk in alternating fashion, IMHO.

MarinaP
01/20/2006, 08:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6548574#post6548574 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BLANKENSHIP76
and aren't 250 DE MH like having single ended 400w MH?

No it's not like that, and we are talking about 10K vs 16K here.

Flighty
01/20/2006, 09:55 PM
If you can post a pic we can give you a better idea what kind of chances you have with it. There are a lot of signs that would show it is not doing well, but the behaviour you describe is exactly what I would expect from a magnifica regardles of its health status. If it can touch something higher it will climb higher. If you build a rock structure such that it feels that it is at the highest point it can get to it will move less. I don't think being out of the water at the edge of the tank is a very good situation for it. They are exposed at low tides sometimes in the wild, but not continuously with no wave action keeping the top wet.

I would turn off the actinics, in my limited experience they seem to be happier without them. I do agree that lower K MH bulbs are the way to go with them with the caviat that their requirements aren't 100% understood.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

BLANKENSHIP76
01/21/2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the info I am debating on keeping it or not, it is such a great specimen I may take it back to the so someone with a more elaborate or better set up can keep it. It is eating and looks good, I just don't like killing something that is such an awesome addition to anyones aquarium.