PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock Question

Grandfinale03
01/21/2006, 09:20 AM
Has anybody ever purchased the Dr. Fosters and Smith Select Fiji Premium Live rock before? Is it worth it? It says it has good coraline algae coverage, so maybe it would be a nice visual jumpstart on a new aquarium. Any opinions or suggestions!?!

Craig Lambert
01/21/2006, 10:00 AM
You might just call and ask them to describe the rock they currently have in stock in terms of its shapes, color, and life.

tokitay
01/21/2006, 10:06 AM
If you can find LR covered with coraline, it really does make a nice jumpstart. You have instant WOW! Not sure about doing that online?

We looked long and hard at our local LFS. Eventually, we found some really pretty LR covered in all kinds of pretty coraline in every color, sponges, sea fans, etc. It was also a great price, about $4 lb.

Best part of all, by using really nice cycled LR, quality LS and such, we had an instant cycle. Added fish within a week, and never saw any spike in ammonia, trites, trates, etc.

Good luck,
Lee

Grandfinale03
01/21/2006, 01:04 PM
i would definately test it everyday though. I dont think i could bank on it being a week and being as lucky as you! This is my first saltwater aquarium so I am not confident in anything yet.

davocean
01/22/2006, 12:34 AM
I bought fiji rock from them that was supposed to be cured but wasn't. They call it pre cured, but when you get it there will be a notice telling you to cure it for 1 to 3 weeks.
With shipping price it really isn't worth the risk.
I got some OK rock, but many broken pieces, and some heavy non porous hunks