PDA

View Full Version : Types, number and placement of streams

forensicdoc
01/21/2006, 04:24 PM
I have two tanks I want to ask circulation questions about. Both tanks will have a sump/fuge with sufficient, but not excess circulation. Neither will have a closed loop.

The first is a 290 bowfront tank. It will contain fish and some rock (more for scenery then filtration). The image is below. What streams kit should I obtain and where would you place the streams? Would this tank be suitable for a wavebox? If so, where?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/50158290_tank-med.jpg

The second is a 190 corner. It will be a reef tank with lots of rock and inverts, but few fish. The image is below. Same questions about streams kit and location of streams. Could you put a wavebox in here, and if so, where.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/50158190_tank-med.jpg

Thanks!

rvitko
01/21/2006, 04:49 PM
Do you know more about the tyes of corals you want to keep in the 190? Also, type of fish in the 290? Basically 2 6100's for the fish tank unless puffers are amongst the inhabitants.

forensicdoc
01/21/2006, 04:59 PM
Roger,

We are likely to have a puffer in the fish tank, but have not yet made a final determination. What is the issue you are raising between the streams and a puffer?

The 190 will likely have a mixture of SPS and soft corals. I would like to have an anemone and/or clams eventually. I expect it will take me most of a year to get the 190 up to speed.

Thanks!

Bruce

rvitko
01/22/2006, 11:05 AM
The puffer could chew through the cord but that applies to any powerhead. They don't handle strong flow well and can also get sucked onto powerheads. Puffers require a special set up.

For the 190 I think 2 6000's but keep in mind that anemones are always a risk with powerheads, they also tend to get sucked in. Using Stream Rocks is a good security measure to prevent this.

forensicdoc
01/22/2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks Roger. I was planning to use the rocks for both tanks.

I noticed on the Tunze web site you advertise a TSF16 kit for deeper reefs. Is this something I should consider for the 190, given the depth (37")?

I had a large puffer in a tank before, but never had him bite through any of the power cords in the tank. I guess I was lucky. The rocks should help avoid getting him sucked into the powerheads.

My next questions were about placement. In the 290 I believe I would place the streams either in on the sides of the tank in front of the overflow boxes or along the back wall next to the overflow boxes. My understanding is you want to aim them towards the front center of the bowfront.

For the 190 I do not have a clue, given the geometry of the tank and the placement of the overflow. If I go with the two 6000's, where should I place and aim them? Same question if you believe the TSF16 kit would be a good option.

Finally, will either of these tanks be suitable for a wavebox?

Thanks again!

rvitko
01/23/2006, 10:23 AM
Placement is largely something you have to find by trial and error based on rock work and coral layout and the generic answer is back corner aimed to the front center.

I would put a cable wrap over the cords if a puffer goes in, just got a call last week about a cord cut in half by a puffer.

I like the TSF16 for case where I want to target higher flow in an area especially when keeping a broad range of coral varieties. In your case I think you would be better off with the two 6000's and maybe add a 7400/2 later if you find an area that needs a targerted flow.

Bowfronts are not suitable tanks for waveboxes. The wavebox is only for rectangular tanks.