PDA

View Full Version : what would you do?

dunham16
01/21/2006, 06:32 PM
I am currently looking to purchase house and have a 90 gal tank and worried about having to move tank to another house. I have a spare 55g not RR tank i was thinking i could set up with just a HOT protein skimmer and some powerheads. Would i be able to transfer LR,LS and 1 hippo tang,sixline wrasse , 2 damsels,LTA into 55g temporarely with weekly water changes would they be ok short term (2months)? This way i could take down 90 gal and sump and not risk breaking it trying to move in a hurry and it could be set up at the new house and ready to just transfer live stock easily.

bertoni
01/21/2006, 06:40 PM
Hmm, tough choice. How big is the tang?

roons
01/21/2006, 06:58 PM
mmmmmmmm, why would it take 2 months to set up 90? or did i miss something

JENnKerry
01/21/2006, 07:01 PM
I think you're better off coming up with a moving plan and sticking to it. Why stress the livestock twice?
We movd into our new house last year and upgraded to our 125 from our 55. The whole process from start to finish took ten and a half hours. We lost our damsel and our royal gramma. I wouldn't risk stressing them anymore than you have to.

dunham16
01/21/2006, 07:29 PM
bertoni-The tang is only about 3.5 inches

roons- i looking to purchase a house and what to make the move easy on me.

JENnKERRY- if i used the water and lr from the existing tank would that stress them that bad?I would set up the 55g in the same room so they would not be out of a tank that long.

JENnKerry
01/21/2006, 07:35 PM
Once you move them from their current home, that's stress enough. It really has nothing to do with using the same live rock and water. I really think you should wait til you move into your new house before you disturb them.

dlish89
01/21/2006, 07:37 PM
I think you would be better off to just do it in one shot and get it over with. In my experience catching the fish to move them is the most stressful part of the process for the fish. I would take out all the rock and maybe even some sand and just leave the fish in the tank with some water.

roons
01/21/2006, 07:51 PM
well, this is how i would do it, buy your new house, get the water making setup going , make 3 44 gal brute cans of water, get em up to temp, empty your tank of fish and rock into rubbermaids, move it , fill it , go back and get your livestock, it would be a full day not counting making the water but your not going to have to let it recycle so i really dont know where you got 2 months from.......... just tell the new owner of your old house you need a couple of days to take care of the tank................show it to him ,let it dazzle him , then overwhelm him with the fishes welfare , lol