PDA

View Full Version : Live Sand Mess

Seajuice
01/21/2006, 09:16 PM
HELP , Last week I put 150lbs of beautiful fine white ESV sand in my 90g. (I am still cycling with LR and LS in my Refugium) I got the bright idea to put 40lbs of GARF LS and grunge to activate the sand and to further the cycling process. Well 2 days later now that I can see through the tank again I have a very silty blackish substrate on top of what was a really nice looking DSB. I'm a bit nervous to add more sand on top of this grunge. Any opinions if adding more ESV sand on top of this would cause any problems. Any other suggestions....
:eek2:

HippieSmell
01/21/2006, 09:24 PM
Lol, I know what you're talking about. I used the same stuff and let me tell you, once it has settled, don't disturb it again. If you cover the grunge with more than an inch or two of sand, you might kill any macro organisms that you paid for. I would cover the grunge a little bit now and a little more in a couple weeks. With that really fine, almost dust-like grunge, it will either settle in low flow areas or be skimmed away eventually.

Seajuice
01/21/2006, 09:28 PM
ERRRRR... I'm not happy!

romunov
01/22/2006, 02:39 AM
I have a silty DSB and it doesn't blow around. You just need to give it time so that the worms and bacteria glue everything together.

If your sand bed is hard or very "blowable", you've got problems.