PDA

View Full Version : Clams that filter water

Gusto
01/21/2006, 10:47 PM
Was watching something on Discovery a while back showing how clams help filter the costland water ways during high tide. Does anyone know what type they are, and has anyone ever tried to use them in as a sump type filtration?

christina78
01/22/2006, 11:31 PM
I don't know what type of clam you are talking about, although I might be of some help. I have a 90 gal reef system. I have 1 - dersa clam, and 1- crocea clam. They filter the water wonderfully! They are a great asset to a reef. The dersa finds his home comfortably in the sand bed, and the crocea likes the live rock. I wouldn't suggest putting them in a sump. They are far to beautiful for that. Good luck.

fishfanv
01/22/2006, 11:40 PM
i think i read somewhere that the asian market type filter water & nitrates. but they're colder water clams so probably wouldn't last long in a tropical reef tank.

Gusto
01/23/2006, 10:37 AM
I don't think they were cold water. Their no a pretty calm like the dersa either. When there not feeding, they bury themselves in the sand. Wish I could remeber them..

Tyrosinase
01/23/2006, 04:28 PM
I have heard that Hippopus Hippopus clams filter water very well. However, all clams do filtering, they consume the nitrates in the tank. Unfortunately, the precursors to nitrates are toxic.

Confooseld
01/23/2006, 04:38 PM
I know on the gulf coast there are little filter feeding clams on the beaches where you see little holes on the beach dig two feet down and you'll find a tiny 'clam'.

Gusto
01/23/2006, 04:45 PM
Not the Hipp clams either. Very plain looking one. Kind of like the ones that you would dig up to eat. About the size of the plam of your hand. I just remembered the show displaying how the expose themselves when the tide rolls in and how the clean up the water. Had about 10 or 20 in a tank with some really cloudy water and showed the tank about 10min later and how clear the water was..

Charlie Davidson
01/23/2006, 05:06 PM
Gus, In my "river" tank, I keep clams like those you probably are asking about. If you go to a local seafood store and ask about littleneck clams, they are probably what you saw. @ 25 cents ea. I have seen these being sold as "cleaner clams" by some internet dealers-- at $5 ea.
Make sure you only buy closed clams and because they are Iced down, you need to slowly ac"clam"ate them to tank temp.

Charlie Davidson
01/23/2006, 05:12 PM
BTW, they do not last in my "reef" tank. not sure why. but I plan to try again!

rharr21
01/23/2006, 06:23 PM
I purchased two of these to put in my deep sand bed. One died a few days after I got it and the other lived several months and was killed by hurricane katrina.

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=574&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

Gusto
01/23/2006, 06:50 PM
Looks like the one, plain ol clam, nothing fancy as far as looks, but a good cleaner.

Gusto
01/23/2006, 07:45 PM
Okay, now the big question, does anyone know the parameters that these clams require. Obvoiusly, lighting is not a biig requirement..