PDA

View Full Version : nitrate simple question

jnb
01/21/2006, 11:51 PM
Exactly what is it in nitrate which stresses the live animals in our tanks - is it burning their gills, is it poison to them?...

Is it my imagination - that when I do a water change that my fish seems energized and why do my skunks seems to go crazy grazing after a water change - I am talking about water changes as little as 10 gallons for my 130 gallon system.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/22/2006, 08:14 AM
I do not know exactly how nitrate stresses fish at elevated levels. It is not very toxic, and some fish are fine even at very high levels. I expect it is more of a correlation that some aquarists have found, rather than a clearly understood phenomenon on a biochemical level.

It can contribute to algae problems as well, simply by supplying them with a necessary nutrient. Zooxanthellae also can respond to it by expanding in population, which can contribute to making certain corals less colorful and more brown (since zooxanthellae are typically golden brown).

This article has more:

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm

jnb
01/22/2006, 09:52 AM
thank you - <a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6557220#post6557220 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
I do not know exactly how nitrate stresses fish at elevated levels. It is not very toxic, and some fish are fine even at very high levels. I expect it is more of a correlation that some aquarists have found, rather than a clearly understood phenomenon on a biochemical level.

It can contribute to algae problems as well, simply by supplying them with a necessary nutrient. Zooxanthellae also can respond to it by expanding in population, which can contribute to making certain corals less colorful and more brown (since zooxanthellae are typically golden brown).

This article has more:

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/22/2006, 11:16 AM
You're welcome.

Happy reefing. :)