PDA

View Full Version : Green Hair Algae Control

dntx5b9
01/22/2006, 08:45 AM
My 20 G FOWLR has been up for just over 5 months now. Things are going pretty well other than the green hair algae problem. It may be part of the new tank deal, but it's growing out of control. I have heard that blennys are good green hair algae eaters. Can someone share with me and the rest of us what works the best in controlling the green hair algae? How about a list of green algae eaters? Thanks! My signature includes everything in the tank.

kau_cinta_ku
01/22/2006, 09:29 AM
for hair alage using good rodi water for water changes and a good skimmer will help keep it undercontrol. also turbo snails are good eaters along with lawn mower blenneys but the blennys are a hit or miss. but try to pull as much of it as you can by hand first.

Fast Fred
01/22/2006, 09:56 AM
I too had a major problem with hair algea. My solution: Remove all of the sand from the tank, remove the LR a piece at a time and scrub it in a barrel of tank water that I siphoned out while doing a water change.

No more sand in the tank - been bare bottom ever since and algea-free ever since. The tank has never looked so healthy.

dntx5b9
01/22/2006, 10:02 AM
Don't want to get rid of sand because I want a DSB to help with the filtering. So, I need a different solution.

JENnKerry
01/22/2006, 10:05 AM
A quick solution could be a lettuce nudibranche. But you need to get to the root of the problem.

fishaholic911
01/22/2006, 10:56 AM
you can remove it but it will come back if you do not fined the root cause. Water change with ro/di water. this setup is a FOWLR so turning the lights off will help with the problem.Check water flow do not over feed and keep all water peramiters in check. Remove as much as you can by hand and give it a few days. do not change more than 50 percent of the water at a time

Abysswater
01/22/2006, 11:26 AM
Get sime turbo snails! They will eat it to the end of time.

PatMayo
01/22/2006, 05:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6558069#post6558069 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishaholic911
you can remove it but it will come back if you do not fined the root cause.

Fishaholic said it correctly. You need to find the root cause. In my tank I found that circulation, RO/DI water, light feeding and keeping the lights on a minimum amount of time worked. I am real stingy on the food and a stickler for water changes and filter changes. All of these things combined will make the difference.

Regards,

Pat