PDA

View Full Version : Skinny Yellow tang

linskica
01/22/2006, 11:55 AM
Yesterday I was watching my tank and was thinking wow my yellow tang looks great! Today I'm looking at him and he looks skinny and he isn't eating. I swear he was eating yesterday cause I just brought some frozen brine home and put some in there. Any suggestions?

mystikdragon7
01/22/2006, 11:59 AM
Are you feeding him seaweed? Tangs need a daily dose of of vegies.

linskica
01/22/2006, 12:04 PM
yes everyday! he hasn't touched it today though :(

Andrew
01/22/2006, 12:12 PM
Try some forzen foods. Ive seen tangs eat cocktail shrimp, brine, ect.

dattong
01/22/2006, 12:25 PM
all you need to feed your fish is this, read the ingredients, you don't really need anything else. I've been feeding my tangs and other fish for 2 yrs with great result, meaty treat served sometimes

http://www.aquariumguys.com/yhst-85300140756196/goldfishflake6.html

ledford1
01/22/2006, 02:10 PM
Flakes are good unless you have oveflows. In that case, much of the food is skimmed off the water before it has a chance to fall to the fish.

My YT is difficult to keep thick for some reason, but he'll eat just about anything. I feed pellets, frozen foods, and seaweed.

They mostly need their veggies, but meaty foods like krill, mysis, blood worms, and some brine can help round out their diets.

If you need help getting them to eat, soaking foods in garlic juice can help entice fish to eat. Other than that, just watching and learning from the other fish what to eat seems to help also.

Good luck.

linskica
01/22/2006, 03:53 PM
Well I haven't ever had a problem with what I have fed him. I feed flakes but i put them under the water surface. I feed frozen brine and Live BBS. I also put in the seaweed strips. He's been my best eater until today. Maybe he is just getting use to his new friends. I hope he doesn't have a parasite of some sort.

sidjam
01/22/2006, 04:02 PM
i feed mine the green nori sheets on a clip. fat and happy!:)

linskica
01/22/2006, 04:05 PM
by seaweed... i mean nori.

bertoni
01/22/2006, 04:43 PM
How long have you had the animal?

You could try some frozen Formula 2 and perhaps some Seaweed Selects or a similar product, as well as the nori.

linskica
01/22/2006, 05:38 PM
I have had him since march. He's been a great fish! Maybe i'm just overreacting. It has been justs one day :) I've just never seen him actually avoid food.

chaseracing
01/22/2006, 05:57 PM
The one thing I have used forever is Garlic Drops. This is known to perk up an appetite on just about every fish I have used it with. I use 2 drops on a 55gal.
I am using Garlic Xtreme (or something like that).

-=E=-

bertoni
01/22/2006, 06:31 PM
Well, if it's only one day, I wouldn't worry.

dattong
01/22/2006, 07:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6559158#post6559158 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ledford1
Flakes are good unless you have oveflows. In that case, much of the food is skimmed off the water before it has a chance to fall to the fish.

flakes should be fine if you just deep them in the water and hold for a few second then let go, none should be sucked in over flow. Beleive me tangs will get fat in no time eating this stuff, I actually have to feed them less so they wont be too fat

dchao
01/23/2006, 01:02 AM
If you have overflow, you can try sinking pellets (They come in different sizes to suit your fish's need). I use New Life Spectrum pellets.

linskica
01/23/2006, 07:11 AM
There are lots of things I could try.... the fish just isn't interested in anything. He swims toward then then doesn't touch it. he looks like his whole belly is pressed in but the rest of him is nice and plump. this just happened yesterday. I read somewhere that tangs can have whats called a rapid loss of stomach fauna. The description is matching him pretty well. I just don't know what to do to fix it.