PDA

View Full Version : My first mail trade, need some suggestions.

ficklefins
01/22/2006, 07:55 PM
Hello,

I've seen a few people doing trades on RC and I was wondering what the best technique for trading zoas via mail is? I was thinking about doing a thermos trade but I don't know anything about doing one.

I need some suggestions from those who have traded zoas with others and what techniques they used. So here are my questions

What did you pack them in? (Thermos or something else?)
What shipping company, box and shipping rate did you use?

This trade will only go from the DC area to PA so it shouldn't take that long.

TIA...

Fickle

Schadiest1
01/23/2006, 07:48 PM
I've always packed my corals in a 2/3 mil poly bag (like you'd get from the LFS) and in winter time I'll add a heat pack and ship priority. No problems yet.

I've also recieved many corals via priority mail, and no problems.

CoralNutz
01/24/2006, 11:50 AM
I also ship a lot of zoas via usps... I had an issue with a delay right before the holidays...

I recommend using a thermos... you can get one for $2.50 at target and it will fit 5-10 frags depending on how you bag them and how large the frags are. I also use the 60 or 72 hour heatpacks in the winter. I put those inside the box and NOT in the thermos...

http://coralnutz.com/images/shipping_supplies.jpg

http://coralnutz.com/images/shipping_supplies2.jpg

gobygoby
01/24/2006, 11:53 AM
what do you say when they ask "do yo uhave anything lquid, paerishable, hazerdous, etc...? and roughly how much does shipping cost?

Thanks!

CoralNutz
01/24/2006, 12:01 PM
LOL... :lol: I have to admit... I look around like I am not paying attention and give them the quick "Uh, no" But I do mark the package fragile on all 6 sides....

Appearently, and I've gotten different answers from different postmasters, shipping live corals is technically a no-no... Also I always put my phone number by my return address incase it did leak somehow they could call me. IMO, these thermo's are very strong plastic.. if something crushes them to the point they are going to leak,, nothing else is going to make it alive. I still double bag them and then put them in the thermos... I have NEVER had one leak yet and don't think I will... When I first started to use these I filled on half way with water and put it upside down all night to see if it even dripped any water out, not a drop :)

CoralNutz
01/24/2006, 12:04 PM
Oh, yeah shipping in the "flat rate box" is $7.70 I think they raised that a few cents this year though. I had two boxes last time and didn't look closely, but it's around $8.

Also, you can go to usps.com and they will send you a box of the flat rate boxes for free. A box of 25 of them. I just ordered them up then I can get every thing packaged at home so I am not messing around at the post office.

Good luck... If you want to ship me some zoas first to test it out, just pm me I'll give you my address :lol:

gobygoby
01/24/2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks for your help, you have been very informative.

'nother question. dont they ever hear water sloshing around in there??

and what do you think you happen if you answered no, and they found out you were lying? will they take you to jail? J/k:D

PS. how about you send me some zoos to make sure all the info your are telling is legitiment! :)

Thanks
Goby

CoralNutz
01/24/2006, 01:51 PM
LOL.... Nothing slosh around? There should be any air in the bags and you only need to use like 1 turkey baster of water for each frag in a bag... then you pack them in the thermos, and then I pack paper towels or water in the leftover space so stuff isn't slosing around. HTH>...

As far as the lying to the postman.... Never been caught yet, but I have heard of people telling them that there was no liquid, then it leaked, and the post offfice will dispose of it and NOT deliver if they can't contact you. That's why I put my number just in case.

Schadiest1
01/24/2006, 05:50 PM
how would you go about shipping caulerpa?

eastcoastzigzag
01/26/2006, 11:44 AM
where do i get those heat packs?

CoralNutz
01/26/2006, 11:59 AM
ebay.... I don't know where you get them locally. I will PM you the contact info of who I got them from when I get home......

CoralNutz
01/26/2006, 12:04 PM
OH yeah... it's in my ebay history.

here's the link to the people I get them from. Best price I could find, the customer service was good as well, very quick and friendly responses. Shipped out same day as I did the "Buy it now"

HTH....

Oh yeah, and those thermos' are about $2.50 at Target stores back by the bikes and coolers. I'm sure they have then elsewhere if you don't have target stores by you. Cheapest, best fitting thermos' I have found yet though.

eastcoastzigzag
01/26/2006, 12:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6593482#post6593482 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CoralNutz
ebay.... I don't know where you get them locally. I will PM you the contact info of who I got them from when I get home......

-----sounds good zoo guru :rollface:

awcurl
01/26/2006, 01:01 PM
I just tell them I'm mailing water samples. Industry mails samples all the time to labs for analysis. Postman thinks nothing of it.

gobygoby
01/26/2006, 01:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6593957#post6593957 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by awcurl
I just tell them I'm mailing water samples. Industry mails samples all the time to labs for analysis. Postman thinks nothing of it.

thats not a bad idea.

I just feel wierd about lying. I mean, what if they ask "Do you have have anything liquid, perishable........" you say NO, and right then it leaks, or they shake it and hear or feel liquid.

Then what are you gonna do? Run for the mountains?:D

Goby

PS. I just orderd my free boxes from usps....Awesome! plus you can get up to 500 at a time. WOW. I was nice and only got 25.

jessiesgrrl
09/27/2006, 07:18 PM
bump

Jon in SW Ohio
09/27/2006, 08:21 PM
In a recent thermos trade I thought I had everything covered and would have a great response upon arrival. Thankfully only half of them suffered and the recipient was an incredibly nice guy.

TAKE EVERY EXTRA PRECAUTION!

Double or triple bag all the frags! Bags are cheap, don't get lazy and expect the best.
Once bagged, and in the thermos as said, put some cushion like paper towels to leave no "wobble room".
Once the thermos is sealed, DOUBLE BAG IT! This was the mistake I had to learn from experience. Most small thermos' will fit in a gallon size freezer bag, and can make the difference between everything arriving happy or a soggy box not being delivered.
Once the bagged thermos is in the box, I like to add more cushioning to make sure the thermos' can't wobble either.

Mail carriers can be very tough on boxes, so take every precaution you can think of then take a couple more.

Jon

mfinn
09/28/2006, 07:25 AM
One more tip for this old thread.
Get your packages to the post office well before the overnight cutoff time.
Call them ahead of time, tell them where the package is going to and find out what time you have to be there and then get there a hour early.
If you are late, no matter if the postage paid was for overnight, it will be sent out as 2nd day delivery.
A extra hour in the shipping container beats a extra 24 sitting in a post office.

jessiesgrrl
09/28/2006, 03:51 PM
I also started cutting strips of plastic baggies up and putting them inside the bag with the zoas to cushion them. Can't remember honestly where I read to doo that, but there you go.
:D
Laurie

Ryanqk
09/28/2006, 04:01 PM
Wait so if its illegal to ship liquids how can they mail water samples?
grrrrr government doesnt make sense !

gioNVA
09/28/2006, 04:13 PM
I've done lots of trades to PA. Check out UPS ground. PA is next day delivery for UPS ground from Northern VA. Double bag the frag and ship in a thermos. Safeway has some half gallon thermos that cost about $3 and can probably fit at least 4 big frags. Or you can buy the smaller Campbell's soup ones at Walmart.

For shipping bags, you can try BRK or buy them from www.kensfish.com.

mfinn
09/28/2006, 04:41 PM
It's not illegal to ship liquids.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8241123#post8241123 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ryanqk
Wait so if its illegal to ship liquids how can they mail water samples?
grrrrr government doesnt make sense !

jessiesgrrl
09/28/2006, 04:49 PM
Although it IS now illegal to take them onto a plane...
<grin>
Laurie

neyugn0w01
09/28/2006, 05:48 PM
You can ship it USPS express mail without any problems to most locations in the USA. Cost from California to New York for example is less then $30.00. Best to ship in styrofoam box, double bagged and ice pack or heat pack. Good Luck

Snakebyt
09/29/2006, 03:27 AM
good thread

jason9jay
09/29/2006, 03:03 PM
I shipped and said "there's water" and explained that I was just shipping coral. The USPS lady just asked me if it was sealed and asked if there was any dry ice(yes, No). All went well for me, but hey, who knows what the policy is now.

jhorricks
10/02/2006, 11:17 PM
Where do you buy your bags and whats the best size??