PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Switches for lighting

ezhoops
01/22/2006, 09:23 PM
looking to figure out how to wire switches for my MH lighting controls.

here's what I have:
2 sets of 3 prong outles
2 sets of single pole switches

I want one switch to control one outlet. simple enough (not for me)

how do I wire this up and make all the wires lead into one single wire that I can plug into an outlet?

thanks

pics or diagrams are always helpful

Matt Rise
01/22/2006, 09:33 PM
The best thing to do, is run down to Home Depot and buy their book on home wiring. I bought one, it was cheap and explains alot. I know that what you want to do is in the book, I just can't find mine right now...I'm finishing the basement , so stuff got moved around.

Matt

ezhoops
01/22/2006, 09:51 PM
borrowed a friends and it didn't (at least his book) say a word about doing this type of electrical work. maaybe yours is different.

I think you just join the white wires to the switches and the black ones to the power. just my guess

enemec1
01/22/2006, 09:59 PM
Run the feed wire from the electrical panel to the switch box

run a second wire to the outet box.

in the switch box, wire nut the white wires together and hook the black wires to the switch. and the ground wire also

than just wire the outlet as normal you can also daisy chain another outlet from the first if needed.

hop this is what you where looking for.

BeanAnimal
01/22/2006, 10:24 PM
Please don't do this without some help. Electrical work is rather easy once you figure out the basics. Go to HD or LOWES and look through the books. If you find one that helps, buy it and then ask a friend who knows MORE than you to help. In other words you need helo with this no matter what, but should take some steps to learn on your own as well.

Bean