PDA

View Full Version : Need help, tank swap

smp
01/22/2006, 11:00 PM
I have a 29 Gallon set up with a HOB skimmer and PC lights etc etc.

I bought myself a new 29 Gallon so that I could drill it out for an overflow and incorporate a sump. My setup is nearly complete and soon I can move everything from the old tank to the new.

I have a few questions:

a) Can I change my sand? I want to put brand new sand into the tank for a ~2" sandbed using sugar sized aragonite. I'm thinking I might have a bit of a cycle, anything to worry about?

b) I recently noticed orange flatworms in my tank. I'm thinking this might be a good oppurtunity to take care of them using flatworm exit.
I would take all livestock out of the tank, then dose the tank and run carbon as suggested. My new 29 Gallon will have a 20 Gallon sump full of new salt water and some new salt water in the 29.
Once the flatworm exit starts to work I'll run carbon on the old tank for a little while with all pumps on while the livestock waits in bags/cooler. Once the carbon has been running for a couple of hours I can then fill the new tank with old water from the old tank and start to re-introduce my livestock slowly (acclimitize first of course).
I would rinse my liverock in a fresh bucket of SW before putting it all in the new tank.

Am I going to have cycling problems?
Should I just play it safe and forget about the flatworm exit for now?
Much thanks.

smp
01/23/2006, 08:14 AM
^up

smp
01/23/2006, 11:24 AM
^up for the lunchtime crew

integlikewhoa
01/23/2006, 11:37 AM
Well how much rock do you have? I think you will probley have some kind of cycle because you will be cleaning the rock and not useing the old sand. Also im not sure if you should use any of the old water. I dont think it will benifit you. (might need someone else to correct me on that one)
I dont know anything about the Flat worm exit stuff and how that will affect you. Never used that or had a problem with those.

smp
01/23/2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the input.
Yeah, I never understood (short of PH and nutrient levels) why it was so important to keep your existing SW in the case of a move or what have you regarding salt water.
I know with freshwater you can just dump all of your existing water because the nitrifying bacteria inhabit the substrate and filters, not the water.
Is SW different in that regard? I don't think so...

If i could, I would rather use all new water. Any opinions on that?
This way I can blast the FW exit and just leave the rocks in the water to kill off the flatworms.

Kogo
01/23/2006, 12:04 PM
use all new water, but drip aclimate livestock like you just baught it from the LFS. this way you will minimze cross contamination from using "bad" water. good luck

smp
01/23/2006, 12:40 PM
Maybe I'll throw the existing sand in the sump/fuge ...

although, I'll probably bring flatworms with it!

integlikewhoa
01/23/2006, 01:05 PM
Yea old sand can be good but not is it contains things yo dont want to bring. Old sand is great and good to use to seed your new sand bed. I would try to use it if you can but if you cant get rid of the flatworms then dont use it.

smp
01/24/2006, 08:11 AM
Any more suggestions?
I don't want to wipeout my live stock :\

Integlikewhoa .. what do you ride? I'm jealous of California, my bike is in storage right now :\

jasper24
01/24/2006, 08:51 AM
When I moved from 1 tank to another I reused 75% of the "old" water, same LR but I did clean some of the pieces with a brush, and I put new araganite (sp?) but mixed in some of the old araganite. After everything was out of the old tank I used my fish net and scooped up some of the old sand and swished it around a little in the remaining old water to clean it a bit. Everything worked out great.

integlikewhoa
01/24/2006, 10:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6573255#post6573255 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smp
Integlikewhoa .. what do you ride? I'm jealous of California, my bike is in storage right now :\

Black and orange 04 GSXR 600. Minor mods, Yosi carbon bolt-on tail sticker removed, a few minor carbon items added, rear plate kit with new blinkers. nothin major. Was riding yesterday. been 75-80 here. Almost ride all year long here. Well some do i just cry a bit when it gets below 70 here. I know thats nothing for u, but hey im spoiled. Below 70 i dont go out. :)

smp
01/24/2006, 08:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6574338#post6574338 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by integlikewhoa
Black and orange 04 GSXR 600. Minor mods, Yosi carbon bolt-on tail sticker removed, a few minor carbon items added, rear plate kit with new blinkers. nothin major. Was riding yesterday. been 75-80 here. Almost ride all year long here. Well some do i just cry a bit when it gets below 70 here. I know thats nothing for u, but hey im spoiled. Below 70 i dont go out. :)

heh
I've ridden in below freezing temperatures .. I wouldn't recommend it though, very little grip on race tires!
I ride an 01 beat the $@#% up R6 .. been through hell and high water, frame is still straight. Mods? A bent subframe and "lightened" bodywork .. clipons, "lightened" headlight .. aerodymanically enhanced gas tank .. you know, the works :D
For me, spending money suping up a bike is money in the toilet cause it's just gonna get binned in no time!

About the tank .. my main concern here is the flatworm exit and if i shoudl even bother. I figure now is a good time because I can take the snails, hermits, CBS, fish and corals before dosing the stuff because I hear it's not that great for your inverts.

greatgman
01/24/2006, 08:42 PM
maybee what you can do is this
get yourself a hob filter or internal sponge filter and let it colonise with
bacteria for a week
then put new water and sand in the new 29 put the filter in the new one , add your fish, then use flatworm exit on the old tank untill it finishes its job
then put some old sand in the new tank to help seed the fiilter bed

if you do it this way you will still have some bio filtration while your rocks are being de wormed + your fish will be less stressed
and yes you WILL have a cycle even after you put your dewormed rocks in the new tank it just wont be as long