PDA

View Full Version : RO Waste Management

ahill3780
01/23/2006, 09:56 AM
I am not sure where best to post this question so I'll start here (maybe someone will move it appropriately :D )

I was trying to think of a good use for the waste water from my RO/DI unit other than letting it just drain off into the yard or into a drain somewhere. I figured that some of you who have been at this longer than me may have already come up with some creative ideas. If so, please share them!

PS - what is typically in the waste water anyway, just all the filtered out metals/phosphates/and silicates? Maybe someone has a diatom farm that they would like to use it for? :rollface:

Billy1234
01/23/2006, 10:07 AM
Some people hook it up to their sink, or keep it in their laundry room and use the excess water for their washing machine. I don't know exactly how, but those are some things I've heard.

ahill3780
01/23/2006, 10:16 AM
Interesting. The only thing I was able to come up with was to have the waste drip into a 100 gallon plastic water drum that I could mount onto a stand in the back yard with a pvc pipe comming out the bottom with a shutoff valve and have it feed a sprinkler.

Feed the fish the filtered RO, and feed the lawn the rest. :D

PatMayo
01/23/2006, 10:24 AM
ahill3780, that is what some folks do. They use it wash clothes, water plants and grass etc. I have heard that some folks only run the DI portion of the system and thus cut waste water. However your use of the DI resin will increase dramatically. Some folks do DI only as a way to conserve. Water costs and such.

Regards,

Pat

Abysswater
01/23/2006, 11:08 AM
I wonder if you can loop in back into the system using a t-fitting that way just have usage of pure water side only. Will it work???
:confused:

ahill3780
01/23/2006, 12:32 PM
I had also thought about refiltering the waste water but I figured that would only cause my filters to clog faster. That is one of the reasons why I was wanting to know what the waste water contained.

If anyone has any creative ideas on what to do with your RO Waste (such as the washing machine idea) and can provide details on how to implement your idea please post them up!

Thanks again everyone!

Ti
01/23/2006, 12:45 PM
I recently installed a permeate pump to reduce the waste.
It helps and the RO fills much faster.

ahill3780
01/23/2006, 12:51 PM
What is a permeate pump, and where did you get yours from?

Ti
01/23/2006, 12:56 PM
marine depot.

Therbligs
01/23/2006, 12:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6565841#post6565841 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Abysswater
I wonder if you can loop in back into the system using a t-fitting that way just have usage of pure water side only. Will it work???
:confused:

Mixing in the waste water would reduce the eff. of the RO unit. You would also have to collect the waste water and pump it back into the supply line to prevent a drop in pressure at the membrane. Also the unit is not designed for back pressure.

I use a DI unit only.

Abysswater
01/23/2006, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6566648#post6566648 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Therbligs
Mixing in the waste water would reduce the eff. of the RO unit. You would also have to collect the waste water and pump it back into the supply line to prevent a drop in pressure at the membrane. Also the unit is not designed for back pressure.

I use a DI unit only.

I see! Vary True! i guess I'll feed my house plants then. thanks