PDA

View Full Version : How to treat Popeye?

10" Red Devil
01/23/2006, 01:58 PM
Hello,

Got a Lubboks wrasse that has developed Popeye. This is a new one to me as far as treatment goes? It is in a reef right now a 20 gallons system total reef. The fish was quarantined for a month.

Thanks.

TerryB
01/23/2006, 09:58 PM
One of the most common causes of popeye is injury to the eye due to netting. If you recently moved the fish then I suspect injury. If the eye is not cloudy then it may be just swelling from the injury. This can resolve in time without medication if you make a large water change using well aged and aerated saltwater. Avoid netting fish in the future.

Soaking the foods in vitamins and Selcon can help. I suggest adding some Beta glucan to the food for a week to enhance immune function.

Terry B

10" Red Devil
01/24/2006, 10:24 PM
No netting anytime recently. It looks like it is already going away. I suspect, but am not certain it might have collided with a moded maxi-jet due to some aggression from either my royal gramma or flame hawk fish. Or maybe they nailed it in the eye. I wish fish would get along like the book says they are suposed to lol!

You know it really sucks you get recommendations here and from books and you quarantine for a full month and then blammo all that hard work down the tubes because one fish decides to be a rebel lol!

Thanks Terry!