PDA

View Full Version : best hang on skimmer for 20 gal hex??

joreef
01/24/2006, 07:28 AM
I am currently running a cpr backpack but am having trouble getting any skimate out of it. When I first purchased this about 6 months ago I was getting great skimate out of it with the stock rio. Well it kind of went through a slow decline even with regular cleanings. So, I decided to upgrade pumps to maxijet 1200 and after 4 or 5 days still no improvements. I have tried adjusting this thing every which way with just no luck and I think I am ready to move on to something different. Also another requirement is it must be quite as the tank is right next to my bed. I would love to get a deltec but can't afford so that is not an option and I hate remoras been there done that...

wickerj
01/24/2006, 09:28 AM
Coralife Super Skimmer - 65
Should be able to find it online for less than $100 needlewheel pump included.

ODOG
01/24/2006, 10:44 AM
I had the CPR and it skimmed ok. I "upgraded" to the Coralife and find it to be just ok as well. Problem with it for your purposes though is the pump will be way to huge of an eyesore in a 20 gallon tank, unless you have a sump to put it in.

joreef
01/24/2006, 02:45 PM
Ya the huge pump is my only holdback on the corlife super skimmmer. I might just go for it anyways.

Ti
01/24/2006, 03:23 PM
cpr bak pak

GROSSR
01/24/2006, 03:29 PM
Bak Paks don't work well. I have one running on my Hospital tank. In two weeks it produced 1 cup full. It is better than nothing but as a permanent skimmer no way. On the CPR I have a MJ1200 and I use the venturi.

rich

Im Lon 2
01/24/2006, 05:39 PM
could you replace the pump on the CPR with a Genx Needle wheel pump?

Fredy
01/24/2006, 05:48 PM
Bak Paks don't work well. I have one running on my Hospital tank. In two weeks it produced 1 cup full. It is better than nothing but as a permanent skimmer no way. On the CPR I have a MJ1200 and I use the venturi.

Rich,
How much skimmate do you expect to get from a Q Tank ? I am sure your bio load is not very big?

joreef,
What have you done differently to your tank? I have a CPR BKPK
for 2+ yrs with great results. I plan on purchasing another CPR Aquafuge PS for a 30 cube I am setting up.

Did you try and contact CPR direct?

Fredy

Milhouse
01/24/2006, 06:02 PM
I don't think the Bak-pak is a GREAT skimmer, but for most people(especially a 20g) it's more than enough. I've had one for about 6 years(I fill up the cup about once a week...when I clean it out there is a thick "scum" lining the neck as well). At the time, there weren't any other options. Now there are a ton of options, yet I'm still using it. I plan on upgrading, but not unless I get something that is LIGHTYEARS better. That's why my next skimmer will more than likely be the Deltec MCE600. Unless someone comes out with a GREAT hang on that's cheaper, that's the only road for me.

nam2212
01/24/2006, 09:03 PM
Did you buy the Venturi kit with the MJ1200? If not, that is your problem.

chadfarmer
01/24/2006, 09:05 PM
with that small of a tank

just do a weekly 10% water change and you shouldnt really need a skimmer

joreef
01/24/2006, 11:07 PM
Ya I purchased the venturi kit with the maxi-jet I just can't seem to get to skim... maybe an 1/8th the collection every 10 days and its green tea colored not dark and stinky. I'm wondering if maybe it's just my tank is running cleaner or something? I don't know seems like I should be getting some more skimmate though. It doesn't increase when I feed the tank..

Milhouse
01/25/2006, 01:21 AM
Like I said, I've been running my Bak-pak on my current tank(37g cube) for a little over a year. It wasn't until probably the last three months that I've been getting pretty good production out of it. I'm running a Rio and have had no problems. Most people I talk to tell me that there is no reason to go to the Maxijet(and that it might not even be as effecient). My tank load hasn't really increased, so I don't know why it's done better. I take the thing out completly about once every 2 or 3 months and do a thorough cleaning. I've also noticed that I haven't had to take it apart as much lately just to clean the PH. I do run hot water through the air tubing about every week and then blow it out. My skimate isn't real dark, but I would definetly say darker than tea color. It's see through, but pretty brown. Doesn't stink too much by that may just be me :D . Again, I do get some pretty good buildup in the neck of the skimmer.

joreef
01/25/2006, 04:10 AM
Ya it could just be that backpacks are really inconsistant but I think I am going to give the coralife a try for only $88 from marine depot. Hell maybe I'll just run both and see wich 1 does better....

petermai
01/25/2006, 06:34 AM
i'm using a seaclone 100 in my 55. it used to be a hang on but now it sits in a sump...two cups of the good smelling brown stuff every two to three days.:)

joreef
01/26/2006, 02:21 AM
Seaclone that performs? wow....

joreef
01/26/2006, 02:22 AM
Anybody know how loud the pumps on the coralife superskimmer 65 are?